[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - 5v Fan for board

5v Fan for board

Sub forum for Parallella daughter cards and accessories

Moderator: Folknology

5v Fan for board

Postby hsauro » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:01 pm

Given the number of people who have recently reported problems with overheating on their boards, has anyone got advice for powering a 5 volt fan from the parallela board? I've found these examples online but want advice on where I can tap 5 volts on the board? I could power the fan separately but a single board solution would be nice as I could strap the fan to the top of the case into a single unit. I think it would be worthwhile the company redesigning the cases they sell to allow a fan to be more easily added.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/116745266/ ... spberry-pi

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/cooler-5v

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glFCJ-xEesY
hsauro

Re: 5v Fan for board

Postby 9600 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:03 pm

A 5v fan can be powered via the mounting pads if the jumper J15 is fitted. For an example see .

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby hsauro » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:15 pm

Thanks for the quick response, just what I needed. Didn't realize there was already a suitable case design.

H
hsauro

Postby gceline » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:58 pm

Another option if you have the Parallella case - I used this at the Embedded World show where we powered 8 monitors for 4 days at the show.
I used a 5VDC - 25mm x25mm x 6mm fan (easily found as it is used in one of the Apple laptops) and it fits perfectly between the side of the case and the pcb.
I superglued the fan into place and used 5VDC points on on the pcb to power the fan. Pictures at these links.

Graham
Adapteva
gceline

Postby nmalinoski » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:16 pm

nmalinoski

Postby akidner » Thu May 15, 2014 8:45 pm

I am attaching a picture of my cooling solution. It’s a standard 12v PC case exhaust fan. It was a very low price but quite fiddly to fit. I run it a 5 volts so it is quieter and slower than in normal use.
Attachments
aFanSolution.jpg
PC case exhaust fan mounted on the side of the Parallella case
aFanSolution.jpg (710.04 KiB) Viewed 29141 times
akidner

Return to Daughter Cards & Accessories