[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Brand new board not booting.

Brand new board not booting.

Hardware related problems and workarounds

Re: Brand new board not booting.

Postby danielcbit » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:49 am

danielcbit

Postby piotr5 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:25 am

as andreas said, obviously sometimes your board works, so you need to check if it works correctly then. best way to do that is to configure some fixed ip-address to rule out malfunctioning of your other computers, and try out different network-cables to rule out their malfunction. or alternatively andreas suggested to reconfigure the parallella linux image to output linux-messages to the serial port, so your log wont stop at the end of the boot-loader's output...

during the times it does not work, you said you get no serial output at all, so it breaks before even booting. not sure multimeter is the right tool for investigating then. you'd probably need to investigate how power changes in more fine-grained ways...
piotr5

Postby danielcbit » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:50 pm

Thank you piotr5 for your comments.

I'll try to make it boot in the holidays. But is very hard to get it to boot correctly. It seems really random when I get it to boot and the CR10 LED to turn on. Which has only occurred three times only, out of dozens of attempts.

In two of them the boot stopped even before the kernel got uncompressed and loaded. So the modification in the image to enable serial output is not much use.

I was thinking if that it could be a problem in the boot flash, as it is used to store uboot and also configure the output voltages of the power regulators.

But the problem here is that I should not have to do all this testing. The board should be functioning from the first time I tried booting it.
danielcbit

Postby nicocesar » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:54 pm

nicocesar

Postby nicocesar » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:26 pm

nicocesar

Postby danielcbit » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:39 pm

Hi nicocesar.

My board does not have a SW2 button for hard reset like yours. I don't know why.

But as you are using a computer PSU of good quality this should rule out power problems. Did you try to connect only one board to the power supply instead of all simultaneously ?

And do you get anything output in the serial port from any board?

On Monday I will take my board to work where we have a programable DC power source (used for phone testing). With that I should rule out power problems with my Parallella also.

I hope that next week people from Parallella will be available to help us out here as well.
danielcbit

Postby nicocesar » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:50 pm

nicocesar

Postby danielcbit » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:03 am

Hi nicocesar.

I could not take my board to work today. I'd do tomorrow.

I would suggest that you get a TTL USB adaptor to connect to the serial port (at the right of the ethernet jack) to see if any message is being output. As you are using the headless, this is almost mandatory :).

I don't get anything output in the serial port if the CR10 does not turn on, which occurred only three times so far.

Do your boards also turn the green network led as well, when you apply power? I only get the green one which. Which also flashes in sign of network activity.
danielcbit

Postby nicocesar » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:00 am

nicocesar

Postby danielcbit » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:38 pm

Hi everybody.

I did some tests with a DC power supply from Agilent which I can control the Voltage and the current.

- Voltage configured to 5.03V
- Currents configured up to 3A

Here are results:

Most of the times only got CR8 led on. CR10 led turned on only once but I didn't had the board plugged in serial.

While the board is plugged in and only CR8 led is on I read about 0.88A being drawn by the Paralella.

The only time I got the CR10 I read a little more than 1A being drawn by the board. Don't remember the exact reading now.

Now when I plug the Ethernet I get both green and orange/yellow leds blinking. They start to blink almost simultaneously and at the same frequency.

I really don't know what else I can do now. I really would like some guidance from Parallella staff about the issue.
danielcbit

Previous

Return to Troubleshooting