[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Brand new board not booting.

Brand new board not booting.

Hardware related problems and workarounds

Brand new board not booting.

Postby danielcbit » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:43 pm

Hi, I bought some time ago a new parallella board, Desktop version.

It took me some time so start playing with it, just could do this in last couple of days.

The board has the green led on all the time and the ethernet led blinks in sign of network activity, but I don't get serial output and the orange ethernet led never stays on.

The board came with a power supply from Parallella but I lost the thermal tape for fixing the heatsink. I used a thermal paste instead, taking care that the heatsink didn't touched any other components and that the paste didn't touched any other components.

I used different class 10 micro SDHC cards (a Sandisk Ultra and an Adata one) with capacites ranging from 16 to 32GB. I also used a generic 8GB class 4 micro sdcard to test, all withouut success.

I'm also using that case here: https://github.com/abopen/parallella-open-case, which has a fan that is powered from the board itself. I soldered the J15 pads as instructed. But when it didn't boot, I removed it to see if anything changed.

Is there anything I might be missing? Is there a list of known working micro SD cards?

My board has SKU: P1601-01
danielcbit

Re: Brand new board not booting.

Postby danielcbit » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:07 am

Ok, somehow I got a little further in booting my board.

I removed the heatsink, cleaned everything and tried to boot the board with USB (I changed the jumper J14 correctly), without success. But when I plugged again the power source using the barrel connector (with J14 back in 1-2) I got some U-boot messages printed in the terminal and the CR10 led powered on.

Here is what I got in the serial:

U-Boot 2012.10-00003-g792c31c (Jan 03 2014 - 12:24:08)

I2C: ready
DRAM: 992 MiB
WARNING: Caches not enabled
MMC: SDHCI: 0
SF: Detected N25Q128 with page size 64 KiB, total 16 MiB
In: serial
Out: serial
Err: serial
Net: zynq_gem
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
Configuring PL and Booting Linux...
Device: SDHCI
Manufacturer ID: 3
OEM: 5344
Name: SL32G
Tran Speed: 50000000
Rd Block Len: 512
SD version 2.0
High Capacity: Yes
Capacity: 29.7 GiB
Bus Width: 4-bit
reading parallella.bit.bin

2083744 bytes read
reading uImage

3391040 bytes read
reading devicetree.dtb

7447 bytes read
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 03000000 ...
Image Name: Linux-3.14.12-parallella-xilinx-
Image Type: ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
Data Size: 3390976 Bytes = 3.2 MiB
Load Address: 00008000
Entry Point: 00008000
Verifying Checksum ...

And then it just stayed there.

The board does not have the heatsink installed right now (I know this is dangerous, but I couldn't test it properly with it installed.

I measured the voltage in the PSU connector, outside the board, and it reads 4.88V, witch is about the same I read between J14 and a ground mounting pad.

I'll try to get another PSU, with a voltage closer to 5V or 5.2V and test again.

Hope this proves that the board is in deed good.

EDIT:

I tried turning the board on again and still got the previous result, only CR8 led on, and green ethernet led blinking. I tried with another PSU I had but i think it was not good enough as it dropped from 5.12V to 4.7V. With the original supplied PSU I read 4.82V in J14.
danielcbit

Postby tnt » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:26 pm

Pretty sure that's the expected output. Serial output is not enabled in some image IIRC.

Are you sure the board doesn't take an IP ? It should do a DHCP request and then be accessible by SSH.
Also, is it connected to a gigabit switch ? I know at some point the PHY was configured for fixed 1G and not auto-neg.
tnt

Postby danielcbit » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:10 pm

I only got this output once.

In several attempts, only once I got the CR10 led to power on. This occurred when I got the serial output.

Even though the green ethernet let powers up, the yellow/orange never came up, so I don't think I am getting a DHCP lease from my router. I scanned my network and could not find it any sign of the board attached. I even tried do an arping to the boards mac address, without success.

In the supplied PSU what should be the nominal measured voltage directly on the connector?
My supplied PSU is reading 4.88V. I think it should be closer to 5V. But again, this was the supplied PSU and I assume that Parallella would do a minimum QA in their suppliers.

Or this can bem a problem with the board itself?

Thank you!
danielcbit

Postby danielcbit » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:59 am

danielcbit

Postby aolofsson » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:03 am

I don't know what's going on with your power connector, but if you got that far, your board is booting ok. You need to enable the console if you want to see more output on the serial port.
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=3289
aolofsson

Postby danielcbit » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:42 pm

Hello aolofsson, as I explained, I tried some other PSUs, including micro USB, it seems really random when the board tries to boot up.

The USB PSU I tested gave me a reading of 5.01V at J14, so it shout be perfect for using with Parallella, but once again, the board did not boot.

I don't think it is a connector issue, it is more like a faulty board issue.

The CR10 led is supposed to turn on immediately after powering on? Or it needs to read something from the SD card? I had one other MicroSD which is in the Parallella Verified Peripherals list, a Samsung EVO. But even with this card I don't get the board to boot reliably.

Is there anything else I can do?

Thank you!
danielcbit

Postby aolofsson » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:14 pm

Why do you keep jumping to the conclusion that board is broken?
I am not saying it's not possible, it's just unlikely based on your symptoms.
Since you have a serial cable, if you enable the serial port I think you will find that the board is booting Linux.
aolofsson

Postby danielcbit » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:29 pm

Sorry, I overlooked the instructions to enable the serial debug messages, thought this was enabled by default. I'll do this once I get home.

But, even though the serial debug is disabled, how I could get those messages in the serial port?

Also, when is the CR10 led turned on? For what I read this is a user led that is lighten when the Zynq is powered, but I could not find much information besides that.

Thank you.
danielcbit

Postby danielcbit » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:46 am

Hello aolofsson,

I did what you said in editing the devicetree file but still I can't boot the board.

Just to be clear what are the symptoms:

1- Until now I only got something output to the serial port (mostly u-boot messages and some kernel messages) twice, after trying reconnecting the power some times.
2- In the cases where I got some output, the CR10 LED turned on on my board.
3- In every attempt to connect power where the CR10 LED does not turn on, I DO NOT get anything output in the serial. Only some random characters due to the modification in power.
4- In EVERY attempt to power on the board, the CR8 LED turns on so does the green Ethernet led. The Ethernet LED also blinks in sign of network activity.

That's why I was saying that it seems a board malfunction. If there is anything other I can do, please, let me know.
Last edited by danielcbit on Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danielcbit

Next

Return to Troubleshooting