[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - early access board questions

early access board questions

Any technical questions about the Epiphany chip and Parallella HW Platform.

Moderator: aolofsson

early access board questions

Postby notzed » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:04 am

Morning,

I just had the early access board delivered half an hour ago (unfortunately it looks like i replied too late to the email to change it). It's amazing that so much is packed into such a small size and yet the connectors are still in relatively sane positions. On the table it looks bigger than a credit card but holding them next to each other the circuit board is exactly the same size sans the rounded corners.

But I have a couple of questions ...

- The email sent out a couple of weeks ago said that one of the issues with the rev-0 board is that it uses too much power and needs a fan. Just blowing over the board? Does it need/would it benefit from a heatsink? Is cooling required for all the big chips?

- Does it have thermal protection or will it just fry if i have incorrect cooling/excessive load?

- What's the status of the hdmi out exactly? (I dont have the requisite cable yet)

- I presume built-in USB will never work with this board based on the issues list.

- I powered it up for a short time and it booted enough to get the network up ... but I don't know what the login credentials are?

As an aside - unfortunately I don't really have as much time/energy to play with it much at the moment as I did when I ordered it, but that might change at any point (I'm just sick of technlogy in general right now).

Cheers,
Z
notzed

Re: early access board questions

Postby mipt98 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:13 am

I don't have one, but you could try root/root or linaro/linaro -- hopefully one of them will work.
mipt98

Postby notzed » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:32 am

notzed

Postby aolofsson » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:03 am

Notzed,

Great to hear that the board arrived safely!! We should have put a note inside the box as well. With you waiting close to a year, it's understandable that you were eager to open it:D

1.) In terms of the heat and fan. For this rev, pretty much any kind of fan blowing across the board will be fine. A $5 12V PC fan will be just fine. (For the next version this won't be needed). Note that we have opereated boards reliably for extended times but they do get hot enough that it makes us uncomfortable. The PMIC on the board does have over current and over temperature sensing at which point it shuts down.

2.) Th HDMI firmware load is not complete yet, so I would wait with that. We'll let you know the second it's available.

3.) The USB should work. but we had some weird behavior with at least one micro USB cable not pulling down the ID pin, still working on it.

Andreas
aolofsson

Postby sebpipa » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:37 pm

We also received the new board.

Board fails to get IP from router/router fails to see board
How long is boot process?
sebpipa

Postby aolofsson » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:53 am

sebpipa,

Really sorry about the trouble connecting! Are you by chance connecting to a 10/100 switch? We still have an issue with parallella ethernet port only working with gigabit equipment (we still need to update device tree). I just verified the issue again here with a 10/100 switch using the gen0 Parallella board and the same SD image that you have. Here is the link to the issue found by tnt: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=320&p=2018#p2018

We'll update the quickstart guide (I hope this is indeed the only issue you are having..)

Andreas
aolofsson

Postby notzed » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:53 am

notzed

Return to Epiphany and Parallella Q & A