[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - what is this physically?

what is this physically?

Any technical questions about the Epiphany chip and Parallella HW Platform.

Moderator: aolofsson

what is this physically?

Postby Andrey » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:42 am

hi
im very interesting in home parallel computing - so im here.
i never touch your device by hand and thats why i ask next may be stupid question.
everybody here discuss programming problem, but could please somebody explain me - what is it physically? how i can connect the device to computer or i dont need it? how i can load ubuntu on the device? generally i use debian. where i should put sdk for that? to computer or where? is there virtual machine for parallella? So give me please reference to short introduction - i want know what is it before i will buy it.
thanks in advance
Andrey

Re: what is this physically?

Postby 9600 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:52 am

Andrew Back

Postby Andrey » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:49 am

ok. thanks for your detail answer, Andrew.
in this picture http://www.parallella.org/board/ i see that the board has two uUSB ports and one uHDMI port. Had you mean those ports for connection keyboard, mouse and monitor respectively?
thanks one more time
Andrey

Postby bgracia » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:44 am

You said " Alternatively you could install the x86 (rather than ARM) version of the SDK onto a laptop." So, do I need a Windows box or a Linux box in order to work off board for development for a single core?

Also, I saw a lot of Linux commands being thrown around on this forum. I guess everyone here knows Linux. That being said, if we do need a Linux box, will there be a manual that works us step by tedious step to get up and running?

Thanks,
Brian
bgracia

Postby 9600 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:20 pm

Andrew Back

Postby ysapir » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:12 pm

Just to add an alternative - it is also possible to use a Virtual Machine to install Linux if you are working on a Windows computer. You can use the VMware Player or VirtualBox (both free). Installation is straight forward and easy, and this is the way I work on my PC.
ysapir

Postby 9600 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:18 pm

Andrew Back

Postby hamster » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:42 pm

hamster

Postby ysapir » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:44 pm

Although it is possible, I am not so sure it is a good idea, considering that an image would be at least the size of the allocated virtual disk. These files will be huge to download (dozens of GBs), and I am not sure if the VM instance itself is not a custom configured machine for your specific host PC.

Being really easy, I doubt the benefit of that. You just need the VM installer, the Ubuntu disc ISO image, and that's about it - the installer installes the guest OS at the time of configuring the VM, if you ask it to do so. Then, all you need is to ftp our eSDK tarball and configure your shell config file (e.g., .bashrc) and voila - you are ready to go.
ysapir

Postby Gravis » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:48 pm

Gravis

Next

Return to Epiphany and Parallella Q & A