[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Interest?

Interest?

Interest?

Postby adamdecaf » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:44 am

I haven't gotten my board yet (will in May) but are there any other people who expressed interest in using erlang? I saw that it was one of the preferred languages, but there haven't been any posts here yet.
adamdecaf

Re: Interest?

Postby radioxid » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:51 am

I really am interested in parallella's Erlang support.
I hope the beam vm really sees those RISC DSP as general computing cores! But aren't they short in memory-per-core?
radioxid

Postby OmerK » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:46 am

Hi folks,

While there isn't much activity in this forum at the moment, I can assure you that behind the scenes we are busy planning how to support Erlang to be a first class citizen in the Parallella land.

A little background: I am an Embedded Systems Engineer at Erlang Solutions and we are exploring how to tackle the challenges we have in today's embedded systems (such as concurrency and distributed systems) using Erlang as part of the Erlang Embedded project[1]. We are also involved in an EU funded heterogeneous parallel architectures research project[2], for which the Epiphany architecture is a good fit. As such, we will be allocating resources to package and optimize Erlang to run on the Parallella board along with blog posts/application notes detailing the use cases we are exploring. Please bear with us while we figure out the details and do get in touch if you have any ideas/suggestions!

It's really encouraging to see more people interested in Erlang on Parallella, what sort of applications are you interested in?

Cheers,
Omer.

[1]
[2]
OmerK

Postby adamdecaf » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:11 pm

I don't have any really specific plans so far, but I've been starting to write and work around some problems that would be good to start with. They're mostly oriented from math right now to get more practice before I get my board. I've been thinking that some work in bioinformatics could be a bit interesting. (And probably not really done in erlang before.)
adamdecaf

Postby radioxid » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:34 pm

Totally. I was myself thinking of artificial neural networks.
I don't have purchased a board yet, and I hope I will soon. The store will probably be opened by the middle of 2013…
I'm used to it (with the r-π).
I hope you guys will catch the same popularity as they have! Maybe you can arrange for some visibility from their website?
radioxid

Postby dbrinnen » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:32 am

Thumps up OmerK!

I do not know the kind of applications I will develop right now, but I will for sure write in Erlang as I find it really enjoyable to code in.
dbrinnen

Postby ed2k » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:27 pm

6 months wait time of the real board makes me think we need a better simulator.
But this is not in the agenda yet.
can we make this a community effort?
ed2k

Postby dioptre » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:20 pm

+1 for Erlang. Thanks Omer.
dioptre

Postby rickp » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:21 pm

I'm assuming that the Epiphany cores can't be used to run erlang processes - so you're looking for ideas on how to abstract the cores into something usable from erlang?
rickp

Postby Greg Zuro » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:20 am

Greg Zuro

Next

Return to Erlang