Debugging e-sdk examples fails

Discussion about Parallella (and Epiphany) Software Development

Moderators: amylaar, jeremybennett, simoncook

Debugging e-sdk examples fails

Postby marc » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:49 pm

Hi,

(continuation from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=627 )

If someone could share the console output of the setup of a debug session, for example with the example "hello_world" program, it would be appreciated. I think I must still be doing something wrong, as I am unable to set a breakpoint in main() successfully.

Thanks,

Marc
marc

Re: Debugging e-sdk examples fails

Postby ysapir » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:43 pm

Marc, first congrats on getting your Parallella. From the listings you attached it looks like you are trying to debug the host program using the device debugger.

Note that for debugging the host program you run gdb, while for the device program you run e-gdb.

There is one more thing - the current way in which the device kernels are loaded on the workgroups is such that cores are assigned their ID in a workgroup (e_group_config) during run-time, by the loader. We did not yet developed an efficient methodology for the hardware debug of multicore programs under eSDK 5. You are most welcome to play with that and see what you can learn.
ysapir

Re: Debugging e-sdk examples fails

Postby marc » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:55 pm

Thanks Yaniv; you were right. I was able to do some simple debugging using the executable meant for the epiphany arch (e_hello_world.elf instead of hello_world.elf).
marc

Return to Programming Q & A