[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - How to programming parallel in Cluster

How to programming parallel in Cluster

Discussion about Parallella (and Epiphany) Software Development

Moderators: amylaar, jeremybennett, simoncook

How to programming parallel in Cluster

Postby manutd94 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:12 am

Hi everyone, I'm new in Parallella. I only have experience in software programming.
Now, i have a exercise using parallella cluster. I need to calculate an expression in 16 cores x 4 board . I know that using Epiphany i can calculate parallely in 16 cores. But i want to using all 4 boards to calculate . Can epiphany do this ?
Thanks for reading.
manutd94

Re: How to programming parallel in Cluster

Postby polas » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 am

Hi and welcome :) Yes, this is very possible and I would think of the dual core ARM as the host and the Epiphany chip as the device (or accelerator.) Similar to how we program GP-GPUs, you could run an MPI process on each Parallella board (the host CPU, so based on what you were saying 4 MPI processes) and then each process will offload some computation to its matching Epiphany chip. Ideally you would try and keep both the host CPU and device Epiphany busy (maybe performing different calculations) for optimal performance, but this is not always possible. In terms of the offload, you could either use the Epiphany API directly or a technology such as COPRTHR 2 (which is well documented here) might suit you well.

Let us know how you get on
polas

Re: How to programming parallel in Cluster

Postby manutd94 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:41 am

manutd94

Return to Programming Q & A