[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Does the SDK run on OS X ?

Does the SDK run on OS X ?

Discussion about Parallella (and Epiphany) Software Development

Moderators: amylaar, jeremybennett, simoncook

Does the SDK run on OS X ?

Postby Transcendental » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:42 am

I intend to start looking at the SDK shortly.

A quick question: does the Parallella SDK run on OS X, or am I going to have to install VmWare Fusion and a Linux distribution ?

If Linux is required (this is what I am expecting to be the answer to my question), is a particular Linux distribution preferred ?

Thanks.
Transcendental

Re: Does the SDK run on OS X ?

Postby brooksmoses » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:25 am

I'm not sure what Adapteva is planning to provide for the "non-early" SDKs, but the early SDK was compiled for 64-bit Linux.

Based on my experience with other GCC compilers, they tend to be fairly distribution-agnostic. (There is a potential problem if the person building the compiler is compiling it for a newer Glibc than you have. That mostly shows up with RHEL/CentOS distributions; anything else should be fine. And most compiler vendors are careful to avoid that problem anyway.)
brooksmoses

Postby fmotta » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:16 am

fmotta

Postby Oneill » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:57 pm

My primary platform is also OSX. So I also interested in a native solution.
I don't think it would be a huge issue to compile the tool chain on OSX.

When the source of the tool chain will be available?
Oneill

Postby adam » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:46 pm

Having a native Mac OS development platform for Epiphany would make my life a lot easier, as my development system is slow enough as it is without the virtualization overhead. I will support any effort to port the tool chain to Mac OS to be best of my abilities.
adam

Postby mrgs » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:38 pm

| OS4E : A preemptive, multiprocessing, microkernel based OS for Epiphany ARCH |
mrgs

Postby Oneill » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:08 pm

Hi all,

I have tried this version:
commit 6a1207fe7d84b96a9f60af6b7c2c3e447b85fbca
Author: Simon Cook <simon.cook@embecosm.com>
Date: Fri Jan 4 11:48:51 2013 +0000

Updated tool building scripts to be more user friendly.

2013-01-04 Simon Cook <simon.cook@embecosm.com>
* build-toolchain.sh: Added symlink support, more useful output
messages (install directory, etc), usage support.
* symlink-all: Added OS X fix from mrgs, now quits on error.

It is built and running.
Oneill

SDK run on OS X ?

Postby galustiza » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:16 pm

Compiled and running. However, header files like e_coreid.h are not installed on my hard drive. Can someone tell me why these Parallella headers are not available? Should I download something else besides the toolchain? I still haven't received my board, so maybe I am expecting access to the SDK before receiving the board.

Sorry for a silly question, but I am a bit lost. Thanks!
galustiza

Postby simoncook » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:08 am

Hi galustiza,

Currently only the source for the toolchain (i.e. e-gcc) is available which doesn't include any of the Epiphany specific libraries for multi-core development (which includes e_coreid.h, etc.) so only single core software works with those tools. We are in the process of making all the multi-core libraries available at which point everything will work as you expect which should happen soon. We'll keep you up to date when this happens.
Useful SDK Links: - - -
simoncook

Postby JeffUrban » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:10 pm

Thanks for the tips. I just successfully built the SDK on OS X 10.8.2. Here are a couple of differences.

I used Homebrew, rather than MacPorts to load gmp mpfr libmpc bison flex texinfo. I was not able to find 'libmpfc' as shown on the 'Building on Mac' page, and am updating the page to state 'libmpc'.

The 'find -f' substitution described above by mrgs is now built-in to build-toolchain.sh.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with the SDK while waiting on the board.
JeffUrban

Next

Return to Programming Q & A