[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Heatsink for P16 KS

Heatsink for P16 KS

Sub forum for Parallella daughter cards and accessories

Moderator: Folknology

Heatsink for P16 KS

Postby hex » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:02 pm

I have 2 of the Kickstarter boards, and I'd like a better heatsink than the ones they came with. I see post-KS boards that appear to be fanless, and I assume the block was milled specifically for Parallella.

Where could I purchase two of these such "fanless" blocks at a reasonable price?
hex

Re: Heatsink for P16 KS

Postby 9600 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:35 am

Andrew Back

Re: Heatsink for P16 KS

Postby AlbertoGP » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:51 pm

If you look closely at the pictures of the new boards, you'll see that they replaced the capacitors with smaller ones and removed the reset button:

That's how they manage to put a flat heatsink, and why it will not work on a KS board unless you drill the heatsink as Andrew said.
That's what I did for my board, but such a thing is not commercially available.
Drilling the wells is not terribly difficult with the right tools, and if you simply drill a hole for each capacitor and the reset button it'll be even easier. You can see what I did and the problems I encountered in this thread:
You could get it done at some local workshop, or maybe ask someone you know. The main point is that you'll need heat conducting pads like Adapteva uses because the HDMI chip is a little bit taller than the ZINQ and Epiphany, so if you just put a flat heatsink on them with thermal grease as I did in my first attempt (golden heatsink) it'll not make good contact.
AlbertoGP

Return to Daughter Cards & Accessories