[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Where I connected my fan...

Where I connected my fan...

Any technical questions about the Epiphany chip and Parallella HW Platform.

Moderator: aolofsson

Where I connected my fan...

Postby hamster » Sat May 17, 2014 9:35 am

Rather than using the clustering jumper I paralleled the fan over the barrel jack. Seemed to work fine even though I used my leaded solder...
Attachments
parallella_fan.jpg
My fan connections
parallella_fan.jpg (99.05 KiB) Viewed 29380 times
hamster

Re: Where I connected my fan...

Postby FHuettig » Sun May 18, 2014 6:54 pm

Hamster, that's an excellent place to make the connection! Those through-hole pins are big & sturdy and it's got good clearance from other signals apart from that one big cap. I'm going to link to this posting from the topic.
-- Fred -- Hardware Guy --
FHuettig

Postby doddy1985 » Sat May 31, 2014 9:14 pm

Quick question concerning the 5V fan. I was just curious what is the power limit I should consider for the fan. Should it be under .5W? I was under the impression that I didn't need that much air being pushed to cool the board/zynq chip. I grabbed a cheapo thing on digikey but it's only .2W and I couldn't even feel the air moving when I put my hand near the fan powered on. I figured I should move up a size but didn't want to draw too much power. I figure I've got about 5 watts to work from though?? Board takes up about 5 perhaps? Extra 5 to work with (5V*2Amps = 10Watts total input)..

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
doddy1985

Postby 9600 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:42 pm

The board could consume >1A with heavy loads and I'd probably want to budget 1.5A for it just to be on the safe side, leaving 0.5A for peripherals. You really don't need to move much air, and the little fans I use and which seem to work great take <0.1A.

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby shodruk » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:51 am

If the power consumption of the devices is 2A, we should use 4A PSU.
Because it means the maximum value.
It doesn't guarantee sustained use.
Shodruky
shodruk

Postby 9600 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:27 am

Andrew Back

Postby doddy1985 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:49 pm

doddy1985

Postby shodruk » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:16 am

Shodruky
shodruk

Postby imwmh » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:05 am

My solution shown in the pics, which is binding a fan to the heatsink. Due to the both sizes of the hehe atsink and the fan, it's have to be running without the lid on.The power supply for the fan is a standalnoe one, it steps the input voltage of 5v down to 3.3v to drive the fan.
Attachments
QQ截图20140624095801.png
A standalone power supply and step-down board.
QQ截图20140624095801.png (394 KiB) Viewed 28748 times
QQ截图20140624095729.png
A fan bound to the heatsink.
QQ截图20140624095729.png (752.33 KiB) Viewed 28748 times
imwmh

Postby svartalf » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:34 pm

svartalf

Next

Return to Epiphany and Parallella Q & A