[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Where can I draw 5V for a fan ?

Where can I draw 5V for a fan ?

Any technical questions about the Epiphany chip and Parallella HW Platform.

Moderator: aolofsson

Re: Where can I draw 5V for a fan ?

Postby mgt6910 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:59 am

I've been sticking soldering irons where others fear to tread for some time !!
I've soldered directly to the 5V mounting hole plus a Grounded mounting hole.
If I did it again, I would not bother with a plug/socket pair on the cable, I don't intend to take it off !
I have glued a mini-fanto the top of the supplied cooler. Picture attached.
Attachments
IMAG0800.jpg
IMAG0800.jpg (190.91 KiB) Viewed 56965 times
mgt6910

Postby pgater » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:46 pm

Hats off to your soldering skills! :D Much better than mine!

I will try the USB method first as the focus will be to get up and running, and then later maybe solder something in place.

I think that a connection for a fan is already on the mark 2 board wish list, which will be a good idea.

Regards,

Paul
pgater

Postby awong209 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:10 pm

awong209

Postby 9600 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:18 pm

Hi Adrian,

Please see .

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby awong209 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:38 pm

awong209

Postby Davidmh » Fri May 09, 2014 12:45 pm

I am another person with low trust on his soldering skills. Would it be possible to plug a standard computer fan to the three pins next to the Ethernet?

I have tried to look up the specifications, but I was unable to find anything useful: it is either too technical for my knowledge, or I haven't find the right document.

Thanks! :)
Davidmh

Postby FHuettig » Fri May 09, 2014 3:55 pm

-- Fred -- Hardware Guy --
FHuettig

Postby FHuettig » Sun May 18, 2014 6:57 pm

I would like to recommend hamster's technique of connecting the fan (or other off-board use of 5V) . Slightly less scary than soldering other places, and being through-hole they will have good mechanical strength. -Fred
-- Fred -- Hardware Guy --
FHuettig

Postby gceline » Tue May 20, 2014 12:07 pm

Behind the power connector is a three pin jumper - the jumper between pins 1 & 2 is carrying power.
So if you find a two pin cable and cut and short the two cables, then you have a 5VDC lead you can connect and use that to get 5VDC without soldering on the board. I do recommend soldering the connection to ensure good conductivity as this is the main power input to the board.

The three pin jumper next to the Ethernet is serial, but Pin 3 (outside most pin) is GND
Attachments
20140520_080243_resized.jpg
20140520_080243_resized.jpg (452.99 KiB) Viewed 56752 times
Graham
Adapteva
gceline

Postby pirithiumx » Sun May 07, 2017 12:50 pm

What does J15 do? I have not fired up my board yet. Planning before power (heatsink fan etc) noticed 2.54mm header pins on J15. But cant seem to find a board layout schem yet. Read briefly that these are for 5vdc?
pirithiumx

PreviousNext

Return to Epiphany and Parallella Q & A