[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - what about power it by USB

what about power it by USB

Sub forum for Parallella daughter cards and accessories

Moderator: Folknology

what about power it by USB

Postby Vaguereiz » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:27 pm

Hi,
It is possible to power the parallella by USB like when we recharged our smartphone ?

Thanks.
Vaguereiz

Re: what about power it by USB

Postby nmalinoski » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:29 am

nmalinoski

Postby 9600 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:51 am

Should be fine for "light workloads", but if you experience any issues the first thing to do would be to try switching to powering the board via the barrel connector.

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby Gravis » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:37 pm

Gravis

Postby gceline » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:12 pm

In addition to a good 2000mA USB supply, the USB cable is critical. We have one 2A USB supply which has a built in cable and a USB socket - the built in cable did not supply enough current. A good USB cable in the socket worked fine!
Graham
Adapteva
gceline

Postby Vaguereiz » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:51 pm

Ok, it's works well.
However, the USB port just behind RJ45 do not work.
So I can powered it by USB, but I can't connect my keybord on the second USB.
And I can't put a Hub and in the same time plub the keybord and the power.
So I must need find a real DC power.
Over.
Vaguereiz

Postby zmc » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:14 pm

I know this thread is a bit old, but I can't seem to find good information on this. I'm a noob so if someone in the know can correct me or confirm this information, please chime in.

According to this thread it should be okay to power the board using the usb port near the micro-hdmi connector for "light loads"

However, post: states that this connector (j6) was not designed to handle this amount of load, and it will fry your usb chip if used for extended periods.

According to the posts at the jumper near the barrel power connector, selects if the board is to be powered via the barrel connector or the USB port near it. Shorting the 2 pins closest to the barrel connector selects it, and shorting the 2 pins closest to the Zynq selects power via usb.

Powering the board this way does work, what I'm not sure about is the safety of this method. I hope that I didn't seriously shorten the life of the usb chip powering the board from the wrong end for a day or so. If anyone can confirm or deny this information and to what board revisions it applies to it would be excellent.
zmc

Postby 9600 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:47 am

You should never feed power in via the USB connector next to the HDMI one. If you have been doing and it stills work, I couldn't tell you if doing so shortened the life of your board — I'd guess not, but wouldn't like to say for certain.

Powering via the USB connector next to the Ethernet jack is fine for light loads, but I think I'd always use the barrel connector or power via the mounting hole pads, whenever I could.

Regards,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby adexmont » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:10 am

adexmont

Postby 9600 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:49 am

Andrew Back

Next

Return to Daughter Cards & Accessories