[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - [SOLVED] The smoke escaped from my parallella

[SOLVED] The smoke escaped from my parallella

Hardware related problems and workarounds

[SOLVED] The smoke escaped from my parallella

Postby mcclung » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:40 pm

I haven't been able to get my parallella to boot, and now I suspect I will never be able to use it.

I finally sat down to try to figure out why my parallella wouldn't boot up today. I didn't want to wait for my serial to USB cable, so I thought I'd try a couple of tests to see if there was something obviously wrong with the root filesystem. I started by using the Debian 7.0 image 9600-debian7-parallella-190214.img on a 32GB sandisk microSD card. I can mount the root image on Linux, and it looks very normal.

To begin with, using the power supply I bought with my parallella (5VDC 2.5 A), I had a solid green LED, and the left ethernet LED would blink green. I tried multiple ethernet cables and switch ports, but it was the same. I never got the right ethernet LED to come on.

The SD card would get very hot if I left this plugged in. I was planning on trying another SD card but I didn't get a chance to do that yet. SD card still gets very hot.

At one point, I accidentally connected a 9V 650mA supply briefly. That may have been the start of my real problems, I'm not sure, because the further problems didn't occur immediately after that.

Lastly, I plugged in the normal power supply in with no SD card to see if there was any different behavior, and after less than a minute, a wisp of smoke came out of the board. Not sure what burned, specifically.

The SD card still works in my computer. When I power the board on now, it comes up as before, solid green power, left LED blinks. However, now the left LED goes out and stays out after a minute. SD card still gets surprisingly hot (in the Parallella).

I guess my questions are:

Has anyone seen a board behave like what I was initially seeing (solid power LED, left ethernet LED on but no right LED ever)?

Anyone have any ideas on what I can try? Or ideas what I burned up?

If there's not enough information, let me know if there's something I can provide. I may know more when I get the USB serial adapter.
mcclung

Re: The smoke escaped from my parallella

Postby aolofsson » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:32 pm

If you connected a 9V supply to the board it's unfortunately VERY likely that you fried your board...sorry..

Thanks for being so honest about your debug process. Please send a message to support@adapteva.com. We can't promise you a free board, but we'll see what we can do to still get you up and running.

Andreas
aolofsson

Postby mcclung » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:14 pm

Thank you for the reply. I was afraid of that. I will definitely contact support as soon as I get my new serial cable in the mail.
mcclung

The smoke escaped from my parallella, also.

Postby k6mle » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:41 pm

It appears that I got my power supply wires backwards when hooking up to a 8A 5VDC supply. The board no longer responds. Is it repairable, or am I destined to buy a new board?

Thanks!
k6mle

Postby 9600 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:33 pm

I couldn't say for certain, but my guess is that it is probably fried. This is not the first time someone has done this and from their the outlook doesn't look great.

Regards,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby ricardo » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:05 pm

That smoke was the magic escaping. Alas, it will never work again. :cry: However, you might experience gratuitous happenings nearby the accident.

I just ordered my first board, along with a power supply. Lets hope the same doesn't happen to me.

-another hopeful recruit to the Parallella comunity
ricardo

Return to Troubleshooting