[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Creating a Parallella SD card on Macintosh

Creating a Parallella SD card on Macintosh

Forum about Parallella boot process, linux kernel, distros, SD-cards, etc.

Creating a Parallella SD card on Macintosh

Postby cbv1062 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:44 am

Please read the whole post before starting.

First thing download the complete image (<releasename>.img.gz) from ftp://ftp.parallella.org/sd_images
More than likely the downloaded file will be in your Downloads folder. So the .img.gz is compressed. Double click on it and now you will have the file you want that ends only in .img

Ok for the Macintosh first insert the SD card and format it with fat32 and name it something to differentiate it from the other drives on you computer using Disk Utility. Then quit Disk Utility. Now open Terminal. Any time you see quotes do not type them in. In the Terminal window type

"diskutil list" hit enter

My screen looked like this.

diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *256.1 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_RAID 255.7 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk0s3
/dev/disk1
0: GUID_partition_scheme *256.1 GB disk1
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
2: Apple_RAID 255.7 GB disk1s2
3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk1s3
/dev/disk2
0: Apple_HFS Boondoggle *511.4 GB disk2
/dev/disk4
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *63.9 GB disk4
1: DOS_FAT_32 PARALLELLA 63.9 GB disk4s1

Now look for your SD Card. For me it was listed as /dev/disk4 I know that because I named the partition PARALLELLA. Make sure you choose the right disk or you could screw up one of your hard drives. Now you want to unmount your disk NOT EJECT! REMEMBER IF YOU SEE disk4 that is my disk change 4 to whatever YOUR drive number is! To do this type

"diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk4" hit enter

Once that is done type

"dd if=/path/to/image.img of=/dev/rdisk4 bs=1m"

If you are not unix savvy I will break it down for you. When it says /path/to/image.img and you have no idea how to find that path no problem. Now in terminal type

"dd if=" now in the finder find your .img click and hold and drag it to the terminal window. BOOM the path to your image is automatically populated. Then type the rest

"of=/dev/rdisk4 bs=1m"

So for me the whole thing looked like this

“dd if=/Users/sweet/Downloads/ubuntu-lxde-14.03.06-p16g1.img of=/dev/rdisk4 bs=1m” hit enter

Once this process starts it will look like nothing is happening. Just wait it can take a long time. A message will eventually pop up once it is complete.

"What do I do if it says permission denied?" Glad you asked. This time type in sudo before hand so it would look like this

"sudo dd if=/Users/sweet/Downloads/ubuntu-lxde-14.03.06-p16g1.img of=/dev/rdisk4 bs=1m"

It will prompt you for the administrators password. Type it in and wait. You should be good to go. Sorry this is so long.

I hope this makes sense and it is useful to someone. This is my first tutorial.
cbv1062

Re: Creating a Parallella SD card on Macintosh

Postby Calle » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:30 pm

Thank you!
Calle

Postby cbv1062 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:50 am

No problem and thank you for saying that. This was my first guide and I was worried that it was crap or it was not easy to understand.
cbv1062

Postby 9600 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:34 am

@cbv1062 I'd just like to add my thanks also! And I wondered if there is any chance you could add a page with this info on the eLinux wiki, and perhaps link to it from the .

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby shodruk » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:54 am

This tutorial must be very useful for MacOS users.
Shodruky
shodruk

Postby Transcendental » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:01 pm

Nice work, cbv1062 !
Transcendental

Postby cbv1062 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:09 pm

cbv1062

Postby Calle » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:06 pm

Calle

Postby seandoyle » Mon May 05, 2014 7:41 pm

Thank you. This was perfect.
seandoyle

Postby NuisanceParameter » Wed May 14, 2014 3:36 pm

Hey, since I'm always paranoid with dd of overwriting other drives, I always write a script to add a little "safety." Thought I'd share this with folks. Tested with Mavericks. Mac-only. The idea is it will search and target an inserted drive with a partition called "PARALLELLA"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n3panc70wsbjw ... lla_mac.sh
NuisanceParameter

Return to Linux/U-Boot