Solar powered Parallella system for BOINC

Re: Solar powered Parallella system for BOINC

Postby reese » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:19 pm

If you have access to a power receptacle, you can run the computer off of your home AC power and compensate your usage with a "250 Watt Micro Grid Tie Power Inverter" that can be found on eBay for $80. This would allow you to essentially use a home power grid as a battery and offset your usage with a solar panel.
reese

Postby WalterTran » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:58 am

Cruncher wrote:Hey guys,
I would like to aquire a Parallella system and use it for BOINC crunching. I would like to crunch on all cores 24/7 and if possible I would like to power my system entirely by solar power. Unfortunately I have no experience yet with solar powered systems and thus I don't know which components (solar panels, batteries, inverters,...) would be sufficent for this case. Do you have any recommendations? Any help would be highly appreciated.
I live in Germany, which isn't that sunny but I'm optimistic that I will be able to ignore this fact if I have some highly efficient equipment.

P.S: Is anybody aware of any attempts to port the World Community Grid (WCG) software to the Parallella architecture
?

hello friend thread is bit old but sill have you got one such solar powered system? I would love to have similar system if it is effective so please share your experience..Waiting for reply thanks in advance:)
Last edited by WalterTran on Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
WalterTran

Postby 9600 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:14 am

WalterTran wrote:hello friend thread is bit old but sill have you got one such solar powered system? I would love to have similar system if it is effective so please share your experience..Waiting for reply thanks in advance:)

There has been quite a bit of interest in BOINC applications, but as far as I know nobody has started work on porting yet. Running Parallella from solar power would be easy, of course.

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back (a.k.a. 9600 / carrierdetect)

Postby Damaraland » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:16 pm

Gedece wrote:
Have you seen the latest news regarding the use of graphene based batteries and graphene based solar panels?

This is science fiction right now. And I think it still be for at least a couple of years.

I think Einstein@homeare pushing on BOINC

About solar system. I think it's very easy. Solar panels are DC, so you just need a few numbers on solar radiation on your area, battery and a DC converter as said before. For rebooting a bit more complicated, but not a lot.
Damaraland

Postby Bikeman » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:20 pm

9600 wrote:There has been quite a bit of interest in BOINC applications, but as far as I know nobody has started work on porting yet.

If porting to Parallella means "making use of the Epiphany chip", I guess that's true.

For Einstein@Home, the status is that there is already a BOINC science application that runs on the ARM CPU cores under Linux, hardfloat ABI (even optimized for ARMv7 with NEON SIMD instructions), so one should be able to participate in Einstein@Home with a Parallella right away, it just won't make use of the Epiphany cores, yet.

If there is a way to implement an FFT that can handle really long transforms (e.g. 3*2^22 real-to-complex transforms, single precision) on the Epiphany with satisfactory performance, we could have an Epiphany-enabled app for E@H relatively soon.

As for solar power, there have been extensive DIY experiments with solar powering Raspberry Pis which you will find via googling, but note that the Parallella has a somewhat higher power rating. Also the Raspberry Pi has a micro USB port for power, which is very nice because you can use, without any adaptation, many off-the-shelf solutions offered for outdoor enthusiasts, typically consisting of a solar panel that charges a battery which in turn provides power via a USB cable, intended for charging/operating a mobile phone/tablet/GPS/even laptop etc from solar power. Whether those solutions provide enough Amps to drive a Parallella and the solar panels can charge the battery faster than the Parallella drains it should be checked from the specs of the individual solution, tho. Just as an example, not as an endorsement, see this vendor: http://www.voltaicsystems.com/

Cheers
HB
Bikeman

Previous

Return to Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing (BOINC)