[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Minimal Vivado Project 2015.3

Minimal Vivado Project 2015.3

Using Zynq Programmable Logic and Xilinx tools to create custom board configurations

Re: Minimal Vivado Project 2015.3

Postby qrios » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:12 am

qrios

Postby kirill » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:13 pm

Interesting feature indeed, I'll definitely try using it at work when benchmarking, thanks for sharing.

As far as performance of the sample core goes -- it was not designed for high throughput. I do not expect it to be faster than a cpu based implementation of the same computation. Sample core is using AXI-Lite memory mapped interface. It's the easiest one to get going and there are ready-made examples on-line from which I borrowed heavily, and this is why it was chosen. This interface is good for low-volume data transfers: setting parameters, controlling low-bandwidth peripherals. For typical accelerator design you would want to use AXI-Stream. Your custom block would have one axi stream input (slave) and one axi-stream output (master), and maybe another AXI port for run-time configuration. This block will consume data from input stream, transform it in some way and write to the output stream. You then connect your block to DDR memory using AXI-DMA as described here: . Just replace FIFO with your custom block.

I have followed example linked above on Parallella and tested it under Linux using UIO driver for controlling DMA block, this worked fine. I am yet to implement custom block with stream-in-stream-out interface. Vivado can generate a template for that kind of block, but obviously writing all the logic is up-to you. And it's not clear to me yet, how much of AXI-stream understanding is required to write one. Another option is to use Vivado HLS, I think trial license is 30 days.

I haven't found yet any written down tutorial on creating axi-stream custom block, so I'm slowly going through this video tutorial . I'm upto the middle of the video 3.
kirill

Postby cmcconnell » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:13 am

Colin.
cmcconnell

Postby qrios » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:30 am

qrios

Postby kirill » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:53 pm

kirill

Postby theover » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:52 pm

In the pursuit of trying more complicated C programs coming from the vivado_hlx tool, I thought I would go through the tutorials of the second post in this thread, and see if the free (web) version would run all the required steps to come to the "minimal example" myself. Yesterday I tried the making of the multiplier block, and I chose the wrong language somewhere (I got VHDL code), which I chose to ignore, pressed "create ..." anyhow, but now I somehow didn't get a "hardware definition" file, so SDK doesn't start up from the completed IP project window (it does start up and allow project creation separately). I'm hoping to be able to use streaming examples from C code, even though the current C code to bit compilation capacity at the moment is far less than what should be possible efficiency-wise if more of the dedicated IP blocks from Vivado/Ise would be used. It could be cool to compile the (small and not so fast) FFT C example and get it to work as streaming AXI application from C code on the Parallella !

Maybe I'll take a look at those videos, too!

Theo V.
theover

Postby kirill » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:34 am

@theover

Regarding SDK problems, I had them too, it was a mistake in the build script, see this change:

https://github.com/Kirill888/parallella ... 84e44c2e25

You can either use fixed version of the script or try to delete and re-create hdl "top wrapper" for block design inside an existing Vivado project.
kirill

Previous

Return to FPGA Design