[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Epiphany FPGA communication.

Epiphany FPGA communication.

Using Zynq Programmable Logic and Xilinx tools to create custom board configurations

Epiphany FPGA communication.

Postby AndyC » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:15 pm

Hi Guys,

What's the recommended way of going about this?

Cheers

Andy
AndyC

Re: Epiphany FPGA communication.

Postby FHuettig » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:37 pm

Hi Andy,

Because the AXI-eLink interface logic is quite involved, and I don't expect that you want to give up control of the Epiphany from the Arm CPUs, I think the easiest way would be to use one of the unused AXI slave interfaces, either GP or HP, to route your read/write requests to the Epiphany interface. I expect that you can do this without taking any bandwidth away from non-Epiphany transactions inside the PS, the PS interconnect block should (I hope) be able to handle concurrent transactions between independent ports.

If you need the Epiphany to write to / read from your logic you'll have to use a master AXI port and assign it an address range that you then use on the Epiphany.

I do have it on my list to implement streaming interfaces to/from the FPGA fabric from/to the Epiphany, with either the Arm or Epiphany setting up a list of descriptors to determine how the data is distributed/gathered, but it will be a while before that happens.

-Fred
-- Fred -- Hardware Guy --
FHuettig

Postby AndyC » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:31 am

Hi Fred,

Thanks very much for the pointers.

Looks like I need a master AXI port, are there any restrictions on access to memory locations from the Epiphany or can it access anything?

Cheers

Andy
AndyC

Postby AndyC » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:24 am

Hi Fred,

My hopeful first attempt at just writing to the 'correct' AXI address from the Epiphany caused the parallella to hang!

So I am obviously being a bit naive, how do you map an AXI address say 0x7AA00000 to the Epiphany?

Thanks for any help.

Andy
AndyC

Postby AndyC » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:37 am

Anyone got any idea of how to do this?

I tried to map the AXI registers into the shared ram address range and XPS doesn't like this at all.

I'm stumped here.

Cheers

Andy
AndyC

Postby aolofsson » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:10 am

You can't really move the memory space around, you'll need to live with the ranges defined in the zynq manual. For the Epiphany, this meant that we had to alias some of the addresses to enable bidirectional communication. Should also be in section 4.1 of parallella manual:
http://parallella.org/docs/parallella_manual.pdf

Example of ramapping code (line ~500)
https://github.com/parallella/parallell ... rallella.v

The Epiphany needs to write "East" so you will likely need to do something like what was done above.

Andreas
aolofsson

Postby AndyC » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:23 am

Thanks Andreas, I will take a look....
AndyC

Postby Melkhior » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:13 pm

Melkhior

Postby AndyC » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:55 pm

Hi,

No I had no success, I couldn't get it to work and gave up hoping that something may be available in the new version to make this easier.

I would be interested in hearing if you get it to work though.

Cheers

Andy
AndyC

Postby Melkhior » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:37 pm

Melkhior

Next

Return to FPGA Design