[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - So what will you be doing with your Parallella?

So what will you be doing with your Parallella?

Forum for anything not suitable for the other forums.

Re: So what will you be doing with your Parallella?

Postby ashok » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:42 am

Hi all,
I am new to this forum. I saw this forum and Parallela arround 2 week ago. I don't know much about the platform. BUT i have seen the specs and I expect this can be a good platform for heavily numeric crunching application.
One of my near future projects demand such thing( OpenCV based ) second in the line is a setting of an "animation studio" for local movie house using Blender.

I think parallela will be much better option than putting a cluster of PCs for HPC.

Any feedback or thought is welcome See I am a novice to this platform. any pointer will help.
ashok

Postby 9600 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:03 am

Andrew Back

Postby Gedece » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:50 am

One more thing to do.

I recently find out that the people at povray have taken notice of Parallella, I'll have to try it if they port it.
Gedece

Postby nickoppen » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:28 am

A while back I wrote a feed forward, back propagation neural network simulator.

I've been watching the Multicore Programming Primer from MIT on iTunes U and if I'd know the basics of parallel programming I'd have done it very differently. They were using the IBM Cell processor but a lot of the material is general in nature. One tip was that starting up a core by creating a new thread is expensive. Therefore you should design it to run for as long as possible before exiting. For those who know about this type of neural network, I created a thread for value passing along every connection and the same in reverse on the training pass i.e. multiplying two numbers together. :oops:

A better approach would be to to farm out the weights on the connections between nodes to each core and feed in the values to each core so that it can multiply all of the output values and then pass the result onto another core to generate the output value of the next node for processing on the next core. Perhaps... I have not really thought through the whole process yet.
Sharing is what makes the internet Great!
nickoppen

Postby capnrob97 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:13 pm

opps, wrong forum
capnrob97

Postby jeinstei » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:29 am

I'm extremely interested in the DSP applications, but being RISC cores vs dedicated DSP cores, even with the two float intruction per cycle, I'm very curious about this. The setup seems tailored to video/audio, but the limited ram would require some playing around.

Can't wait to try something new.
jeinstei

Postby Takouh » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:00 pm

Hello All,

Right now, I am doing my master thesis on power-aware scheduleing for many-core real-time systems. I have decided to use parallella board to implement my scheduler (hoping that I get the board in time).
I have been thinking to use the Epiphany in it's bare metal mode and program it directly using C, because the scheduler needs to have full control on the hardware and it should know which core is running what application to be able to meet the application's deadlines.
On the other hand, Parallella is able to support OpenCL. I am wondering if I could use OpenCL as my framework to implement the scheduler. Will I have the required control on the hardware?
I would appreciate any information and guidelines on this subject.

Thank you,
Takouh

Postby c1d » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:33 pm

c1d

Postby plus » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:32 pm

Hi all!

My vote goes for XBMC media center and a real desktop pc alternative with a low power consumption profile.

cheers!
plus

Postby c1d » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:31 pm

c1d

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion