[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Can I add x to Parallella?

Can I add x to Parallella?

Forum for anything not suitable for the other forums.

Can I add x to Parallella?

Postby c1d » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:24 pm

Hello,
First of all, is the a way to add more RAM to Parallella?
If not should I create a custom Memory Controller and try and add more through the ports or should I use a SSD as RAM?
Second, can I attach GPU's to Parallella?
and third can I remove Empiphany and attach it to another motherboard? If yes, what boards can do that?
I'm sorry if these questions sound noobie as I'm new to the world of Parallella and Raw Hardware for that matter! Even though I know many languages (Node, C, Python, PHP, Ruby, C++) I haven't really built my own PC or bought something like this before :P.
Thank You :D
c1d

Re: Can I add x to Parallella?

Postby 9600 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:15 pm

Andrew Back

Postby c1d » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:59 pm

c1d

Postby piotr5 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:58 am

c compiler adapted to the limited ressources of epiphany would be great (although it probably requires the 64-core kind to get more local ram). but unfortunately c-compilers are usually the kind of task that would occupy several people for a lifetime or more. you can't do anything else then since you'll constantly have to work with bug-reports from a very wide community. :-)

3d stuff and physics engine requires a lot of mathematical knowledge, so if your education only covers it then you'll soon get into a dead end with your knowledge about parallellization. :mrgreen:

for a really powerful computer you actually don't need loads of ram, and with only 32 bit you can't have more than 4 times what parallela already has anyway -- minus the ram for gpu or whatever. I think more interesting would be to turn parallella into a wearable computer, maybe combine it with google glasses or something. another interesting thing would be to port to the parallela platform (i.e. create an arm backend and make epiphany available too), since you know c++ it would be interesting to show pople that even on the limited amount of space you still can make programs in a higher level language...

but if you insist on using epiphany in a desktop pc, maybe turn parallella into an usb-stick? would definitely be easier than attaching epiphany chip on another motherboard or adding more ram. and there are enough tiny-sized 64bit pc to make the combination of the two extremely powerful -- just watch out what memory-restrictions they have...

btw, what I said here is a reply to c1d, not my own ambitions. I'm just making suggestions for someone with this particular set of interests. ;)
piotr5

Postby glasspelican » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:40 pm

1. *possible* but you will have trouble finding an engineer willing to try. the extra memory would have vary high latency, and it may actually negatively impact performance. then theres the matter of cost, would you be willing to pay $100 or more for 2Gig of ram.
One option would be to use a CPLD on the addon card to make laptop ram available as a ram disk, this disk could then be formated as swap space, freeing up main memory for the running application.
2. I have been looking into this and have yet to find a gpu that is a good match, all the ones i have found are either 2d units, that could be easily implemented in programmable logic, or 3d units that draw to-much power (5w computer with 25w gpu). The nice units that are used in cellphones/tablets are not available as discreet parts.
glasspelican

Postby c1d » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:49 pm

c1d

Return to General Discussion