Make Parallella suitable for Litecoin mining

Forum for anything not suitable for the other forums.

Re: Make Parallella suitable for Litecoin mining

Postby jar » Tue May 07, 2013 2:56 am

solardiz wrote:@jar - I agree with most of what you said, with a couple of minor corrections:

jar wrote:A rotate instruction would cut three operations to one

No, just 2 to 1, because we have IMADD (equivalent to left shift and OR in one instruction, as part of rotate "emulation"). :-)

I actually knew that, but had forgotten :oops:

Analysis was back during the Kickstarter campaign.

solardiz wrote:
jar wrote:Each Epiphany III core has 32 KB of instruction/scratchpad memory for the scrypt lookup table (LUT). This might be sufficient for a lookup gap of 5 or 6 as you can see in the table below. This would result in a compute performance hit of 3-3.5x.

No, the computation time hit will be only around 2x for a gap of 5 (every 5th value stored, so I'd call this a gap of 4, but somehow Litecoin/GPU miners call storing of every other value a gap of 2, so let's stick to this terminology...) You haven't considered the cost of the first one of two loops in SMix, which doesn't increase.

This is good to know. I'll have to look at the code again.

Which Litecoin miner do most miners use? CPUminer has been ported to ARM and would require the most work to port to Epiphany. Or Reaper could be a starting point, but the GPU kernel code needs to be reworked for at least two reasons:

• Removal of OpenCL swizzle operations to support Epiphany/COPRTHR OpenCL C implementation (trivial)
  • Replacement of global LUT to be substituted with Epiphany core memory (more involved)
jar

Postby ed2k » Mon May 20, 2013 5:05 am

I tried this one, https://github.com/pooler/cpuminer on the two arm cores
seems very slow 0.47khash/sec/core
the C code port (with simple gap re-calculate takes 20KB code space), really tight.
don't have time to optimize or try, but I don't expect the per core performance would be better than ARMcore.
ed2k

Postby AlphaDuck » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:42 am

Has anyone considered programming a proof of work function that is optimal for RISC cores instead of trying to get RISC cores to inefficiently calculate what they are not designed for?
AlphaDuck

Postby dudeofthestick » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:46 am

Anybody has made any progress on this topic?

I'm waiting for my kickstarter kit, and I would like to know if there is any progress so far.
dudeofthestick

Postby 9600 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:50 am

dudeofthestick wrote:Anybody has made any progress on this topic?

I'm waiting for my kickstarter kit, and I would like to know if there is any progress so far.

I'm not aware of any specific progress, but I understand that this is something that the Openwall project are looking at as part of GSoC 2013.

Regards,

Andrew
Andrew Back (a.k.a. 9600 / carrierdetect)

Postby mfeu » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:39 pm

I'm not aware of any specific progress, but I understand that this is something that the Openwall project are looking at as part of GSoC 2013.

I saw that Openwall project is looking at the script algorithm on parallela. Is there somewhere a site, where they publish their progress?

Regards,
m
mfeu

Postby 9600 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:29 pm

mfeu wrote:I saw that Openwall project is looking at the script algorithm on parallela. Is there somewhere a site, where they publish their progress?

They have a wiki but there doesn't look to be much Parallella-related information on there at present, and it may be that it will be updated at the end of GSoC. In the meantime I'd suggest searching the mailing lists and following the Twitter account.

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back (a.k.a. 9600 / carrierdetect)

Previous

Return to General Discussion