promgen: An easier way to generate .bit.bin

Using Zynq Programmable Logic and Xilinx tools to create custom board configurations

promgen: An easier way to generate .bit.bin

Postby yanidubin » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:46 am

Some weeks ago I came across a simpler way to generate the binary bitstream file. I hadn't gotten around to trying it and testing it until tonight.

It is easier than the bootgen method in that no .bif file needs to be created, nor is a dummy.elf required. It goes straight from .bit to .bit.bin with no messing around.

I did a search on the forum and saw no references to promgen, so I thought I should share it.

promgen -b -w -p bin -data_width 32 -u 0 parallella_z7_top.bit -o parallella.bit.bin

Is anyone familiar with this tool and know of any issues with it?
Last edited by yanidubin on Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yanidubin

Re: promgen: A better way to generate .bit.bin?

Postby aolofsson » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:38 pm

We'll take a look...when it comes to binary blob tools, I tend to stay with the one that gets mentioned most by the vendor. "down the middle approach". There may be others here on the forum who have more insight.
aolofsson

Re: promgen: A better way to generate .bit.bin?

Postby yanidubin » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:51 pm

Yes, you make a very good point. I retract my recommendation to include it, and suggest it for consideration instead.

Meanwhile, I will continue to use it until it fails me - so if we ever do consider the switch, we have data points on how reliable it may be.
yanidubin

Return to FPGA Design