VLDB (Very Large Database) Implementation on Parallela

Forum for anything not suitable for the other forums.

VLDB (Very Large Database) Implementation on Parallela

Postby vkd_31 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:29 pm

I plan to build a cluster using Parallella and use it run VLDBs. Initially I plan to use Parallella-16 Micro-Server for this purpose. Initial cluster will be an 8 node cluster and will expand to 64 or more clusters once we have a functional prototype. The databases will support massively large natural language processing/text processing application. Has anyone done anything similar to this? I know MySQL has quite decent capabilities in this area and I plan to use it.

I have no experience with Parallella boards. Any help, direction or resources would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
vkd_31

Re: VLDB (Very Large Database) Implementation on Parallela

Postby duntonr » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:24 am

I know this is an old question and I cant speak to the programmatic side of the analysis but from a logistics standpoint with 8 board off the bat going to 64+, you will need a solution just for managing the boards to start.

Check out:
[list=][*]gerytery's guide on tftp booting a parallella with nfs for the root file system: http://elinux.org/TFTP_Boot_and_NFS_Root_Filesystems [*]shodruk's guide on linaro: http://elinux.org/Parallella_Linaro_Nano[/list]

The first guide will help you setup the framework for tftp and nfs as well as needed uBoot commands and scripts and the 2nd shows how and what to put in the file system. I have 3 boards booting via tftp with root fs on nfs using the newest kernel from the github repos and followed these guides to get that setup.

I just started experimenting with all 3 boards sharing a common single root fs but aside boot i cant say yet if its really working or not

Standard WARNING applies: mess with bootloaders (eg uboot) at your own risk :D
duntonr

Return to General Discussion