[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Debian 7.0/armhf image available.

Debian 7.0/armhf image available.

Forum about Parallella boot process, linux kernel, distros, SD-cards, etc.

Debian 7.0/armhf image available.

Postby 9600 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:37 pm

Hello,

I've made a minimal Debian 7 + ARM toolchain + Epiphany SDK + COPRTHR SDR image available. For further details and a download link see the .

Note that this is not an official/supported distribution!

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Re: Debian 7.0/armhf image available.

Postby shodruk » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:49 pm

Great!! Thanks! :D
Shodruky
shodruk

Postby bryanhepworth » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:24 pm

Marvellous - Thanks for that, my board should be arriving sometime soon.
bryanhepworth

Postby over9000 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:52 pm

Hi,

I'm interested in running wheezy on my machines when I get them. Almost all my other machines are also running wheezy, so being able to run it on Parallella machines too would be very useful for things like running distcc or openmpi. The fact that I know they're all running (more or less) the same versions of software makes it very appealing.

My question is what you needed to do to the basic Debian install image to "parallellalize it" (to coin a phrase)? I know you say that this is unofficial/unsupported, but I'm guessing that there can't be too many "hacks" (if any) required to get all the Parallella-specific stuff working on any Linux distro: probably the kernel, maybe bootloader (u-boot?) and the userland stuff like SDK, and any daemons or link/loader utilities for managing the Ephiphany cores?

Basically, I'd prefer to have some vanilla version of Debian to work with (rather than, say, Ubuntu), but your warning makes me worry that stuff might break, suffer bit rot or just generally not be well supported as time goes on. If I knew what you had to change to get Debian to work, then I could use that info to fix things later on if they did go awry....

Thanks in advance :)
edit: I found the document, so I guess that answers my general questions about what I need to "parallellalize" a generic linux distro, but were there any specific steps/tweaks needed to get Debian wheezy in particular to work?
over9000

Postby 9600 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:50 am

Andrew Back

Postby over9000 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:47 pm

Thanks, Andrew.

That's exactly the kind of reply I was looking for. It should mean that upgrading won't cause any problems so long as I don't install a Debian kernel.

Following on from that, though (maybe this should be in a different forum?), how are all the Parallella-specific things (kernel, sdk, and so on) updated from within the official Ubuntu distro? Are they packaged up as .deb files or is it pretty much a manual upgrade (pull from github, rebuild)?

Thanks for the "support" ;-)
over9000

Postby 9600 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:56 pm

Andrew Back

Postby over9000 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:36 pm

over9000

Postby 9600 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:03 am

Andrew Back

Postby over9000 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:51 am

I've now got this working properly. After trying various combinations of kernels, bitstreams and device trees that I found in the forums, it appears that the best thing to do is follow steps 2 and 3 in the document. After that, my 7010 board booted fine with working USB and HDMI.
The only thing that doesn't work (right now) if you do that is the serial console---it stops working as soon as the kernel starts. I saw some posts relating to that, so I think it should be fairly trivial to turn it back on again.
So in the end, even though the image didn't work "out of the box", it is possible to fix it with the right kernel/FPGA files and this can be done from any machine without the need for the serial connection.
I'm happy now :) I hope these notes are of use for anyone else trying to get the image to work.
over9000

Return to Linux/U-Boot