[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Request: Upstreaming of U-Boot and Linux changes

Request: Upstreaming of U-Boot and Linux changes

Forum about Parallella boot process, linux kernel, distros, SD-cards, etc.

Request: Upstreaming of U-Boot and Linux changes

Postby afy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:42 am

afy

Re: Request: Upstreaming of U-Boot and Linux changes

Postby ed2k » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:37 am

parallella is using zynq platform. nothing is worth upstream yet. that is what I see. Also I don't think parallella has the bandwidth to deal with the upstream.
ed2k

Postby 9600 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:31 pm

Andrew Back

Postby aolofsson » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:29 am

aolofsson

Postby afy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:31 pm

Hi Andrew and Andreas,

Thanks for taking this request seriously.

Let me assure you that both U-Boot and Linux are much less formal than FSF and require no paperwork to be signed first. :-)
The formalism they both employ is this Signed-off-by or short Sob (see the DCO link above for details). The executive summary is, it records through whose hands a patch went and everyone along the chain certifying that they did not steal the code from some proprietary code base but either wrote it themselves or received it from a person that certified the same.

https://github.com/parallella/parallell ... lella-gen1
https://github.com/parallella/parallell ... xcomm_zynq
are lacking such Signed-off-by: Name <email> lines, so that I can't take them, rebase them and submit them upstream, as I can't certify myself how those patches were created; and a patch without any Signed-off-by will be rejected.
I believe that Andreas as CEO or the respective commit authors could retroactively declare those changes to be signed off via a textual reply, e.g. here, with the line to be used in a submission process by external people such as me. An alternative would be for you to rewrite Git history using git rebase -i and rewording each of your commit messages to end in such a line (not necessary if they rewrite patches against upstream changes on a different branch themselves anyway). For new commits your employees should please use git commit -s to automate adding the Signed-off-by line to the commit message; and if people send you patches or pull requests you should keep an eye on them carrying a Signed-off-by - otherwise you will start facing this same issue yourself.

Personally I am still waiting for my pre-order, so I can't test beyond compilation at this point, and I have no previous experiences with other Zynq-based boards (it has been a stony path for the Raspberry Pi among others, trying to spare you that!). Both U-Boot and Linux have a tree-like maintenance model, i.e. to submit your Linux fdt/config changes you would rebase them onto the Zynq maintainer's tree, send them via git-format-patch and/or git-send-email to the indicated person and mailing list (quoted from MAINTAINERS file above); the Zynq maintainer will review and, possibly after requesting cleanups, apply them to his tree and send a pull request to the ARM SoC tree at some point, from where its maintainer will send a pull request to Linus when the next merge window opens. Your job in that process is done once the first maintainer accepts your patches.
For U-Boot, Custodians and trees are listed on their . I spot no Zynq/Xilinx-specific tree there, so that would probably mean using the generic ARM tree. Cf. http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot/Patches

I do not know which exactly are your dependencies in the ADI/Xilinx Linux trees, but I would hope that Xilinx changes are in the Zynq staging tree and on their way upstream (if not, remind the Xilinx guys like I reminded you!). There is no requirement for patches to be feature-complete with regards to hardware support, so you could split the device tree patch into an upstream-ready and an ADI-dependent part if necessary (hint: git checkout -p). That will be easier to discuss looking at actual code rather than theory though. One difference I spotted between your Linux tree and Linus' one is that a zynq-7000.dtsi file is now being used for the SoC itself so that the board .dts file itself just has to indicate which of the chipset features are actually soldered to connectors, etc. and what external components are on the board (cf. zynq-zed.dts), making it even smaller and thus less code duplication to maintain long-term.

I just replied to Graham and will be looking forward to meeting you in Nuremberg.

Cheers,
Andreas
afy

Postby teo80 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:15 pm

Hello,
has there been any progress about this topic? Now that the bakers have received their boards maybe it will be easier to find support in the community.

Matteo
teo80

Postby afy » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:50 pm

afy

Postby 9600 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:46 pm

Andrew Back

Postby afy » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:18 pm

afy

Postby aolofsson » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:31 am

Andreas,
Thanks for your continued effort to drive us upstream. You are 100% right. With production issues FINALLY out of the way, this is indeed becoming an important issue.
Andreas
aolofsson

Next

Return to Linux/U-Boot