Rev0 custom kernel

Forum about Parallella boot process, linux kernel, distros, SD-cards, etc.

Rev0 custom kernel

Postby tnt » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:44 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to run a custom kernel on the Rev0, so I tried booting the same kernel that I use on the zedboard.

That didn't work out too well though. Full logs http://pastebin.com/6wcT08Ai
But essentially it didn't find the slcr entry.

I traced that down to a missing "xlnx,zynq-slcr" in the compatibility list of the slcr node. But then after that, it just hung, which I then traced to the missing subnodes in zynq-slcr. I copied those from the zedboard config and it proceeded further.

But once it switches from the "early console" to the real one, then it becomes screwed up because it transmits at 104k baud instead of 115.2k baud. Which is exactly 30/33 * 115.2k ... so obviously something somewhere is not aware of the right clock frequency / divider.

I tried changing the clock in the serial node of the device tree from 50M to 45.45M but that didn't change anything.
And I don't have network either.

Any clue how to go further ?
tnt

Re: Rev0 custom kernel

Postby tnt » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:19 pm

Arf of course I had missed one of the clock values ... now it boots fine.

BTW is there a repo to keep up-to-date device trees ? I had to make several mods to get it working properly.
tnt

Postby aolofsson » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:48 am

Wow, that was fast! The working Linux fork can be found here, including the latest device tree.
https://github.com/parallella/parallella-linux
Andreas
aolofsson

Postby SolarNet » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:59 pm

TNT,

Can you post your config file or image or something? I am trying some kernel hacking as well and would like to experiment with other functioning kernels...
SolarNet

Return to Linux/U-Boot