[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - xfce not working

xfce not working

Forum about Parallella boot process, linux kernel, distros, SD-cards, etc.

xfce not working

Postby pol » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:18 pm

Hi all,
I just burn my sd-card with the last release download from this site and started to play with my 7020 parallella. LXDE desktop works, but it is really hard for a newbie ( very poor GUI)...and Xfce doesn't work , the screen stays black after psw input...The more suitable desktop for me would br gnome, how to get it ? or to make Xfce session working ?

I try to play with lxde, but a lot of functionnality are not working : Synaptic packge Manager doesn't open, Network connection cannot see the Ethernet data ( DHCP is working as the card is connected to internet through my local network) ....Is that normal, or is the image wrong somewhere ???

Thanks to help. I must not be the only one to see that on a recent download !
pol

Re: xfce not working

Postby 9600 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:21 pm

Andrew Back

Postby pol » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:04 pm

Thanks Andrew
I removed the file, reboot and could start xfce once ( just a few icones on the display, no side bar, nothing to manage the system) and after a second reboot, xfce could not start...no more file to remove...

Kernel and FPGA files are the last one downloaded from http://www.parallella.org/create-sdcard/ yesterday. (7020 option as written on the card)
pol

Postby 9600 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:18 pm

What output are you getting on the display?

Can you log in to your router and see if it has leased a DHCP address to your board. If it has, see if you can ssh into it as the linaro user.

Regards,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby pol » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:03 pm

Andrew,

With xfce, on the display, after psw input, the screen stays black with just the mouse pointer frozen...
yes I can connect with ssh , so that probably an issue with the display setting with xfce...the display is a std LCD with a hdmi cable...launching x11vnc server on xfce, it stops because it cannot find any display.."XopenDisplay failed"

With lxde , I made some progress using root, but still not able to work with the network manager that doesn't see the LAN connexion working...I also cannot connect tightvnc (on my windows machine) on x11vnc installed on the parallella...usually that works at first run...5900 port should be opened, as no firewall has been installed....

Thanks for your help

PS: After 20 mn , xfce decids to light on the screen ! ...not really usable, but when I try to use a function, the screen freeze again...
pol

Return to Linux/U-Boot