[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Setup driver for Uart0 in Linux [solved]

Setup driver for Uart0 in Linux [solved]

Forum about Parallella boot process, linux kernel, distros, SD-cards, etc.

Setup driver for Uart0 in Linux [solved]

Postby moses_rotesmeer » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:51 am

Hi,
I'd like to activate UART0 on the zynq and use it from within Linux like a standard i/o device (/dev/tty...)
Im planning to route UART0 via Emio internally to another Unit that is instantiated in the PL (and has a Uart interface).
So my plan is:
-) activate UART0 it in XPS, set to Emio, make external
-) Generate the stub for the system
-) route the uart0 pins internally in the top verilog design to the other uart device that is also instantiated in the PL section
-) flash new *.bit.bin file into the PL
*) Load the Driver for Uart0 in Linux / Create I/O device node
-) Write a Linux Application to write to/ read from uart device via termios.h

I think, so far I would need some help with the step marked with *).
I'm using the current Ubuntu Version with Default Headless Kernel Image.

What is neccessary in order to get the Uart0 Device in Linux running?
Do I need to change anything in the kernel/recompile it or can I just load the driver for Uart0 somehow?
Do I need to generate a new devicetree for that?

Thanks for your help!
cheers, moses
Last edited by moses_rotesmeer on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moses_rotesmeer

Re: Setup driver for Uart0 in Linux

Postby moses_rotesmeer » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:04 pm

moses_rotesmeer

Postby moses_rotesmeer » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:25 pm

UPDATE:
found the reason for the freeze:
(hint from this post: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Li ... 674/page/2 )

for uart0 the devicetree entry clocks is not equal to uart1:

uart0:
clocks = <&clkc 23>, <&clkc 40>;

uart1:
clocks = <&clkc 24>, <&clkc 41>;

So it looks good now... I'll have to implement the uart client in the PL now but I'll post here if it works
moses_rotesmeer

Postby moses_rotesmeer » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:04 pm

moses_rotesmeer

Re: Setup driver for Uart0 in Linux [solved]

Postby 9600 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:34 am

Nice!

There is a page on the wiki about and it would be great to have another which details how to enable and use the other UART.

Regards,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Return to Linux/U-Boot