[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Board not booting

Board not booting

Forum about Parallella boot process, linux kernel, distros, SD-cards, etc.

Board not booting

Postby msuthar25 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:03 pm

Hello all,

Recently i got my parallella board with 16cores and 7020.
I burnt the ubuntu 14.04 image on 8gb SD card and followed all the steps accurately.
Using the headless version. I am planning to connect it via SSh as i dont have a micro-HDMI cable for now.

now i am powering up my board with host USB from my PC by changing the jumper position.
The green light comes on and stays on.
but i am not able to find out the ip address of the board, the Ethernet port bilnks green first then orange light also lights up, flickers nd then goes off. iam using advanced ip scanner to find the board on my Ethernet port. but unsuccessful.
I think the board is not booting up. plz give me any suggestions.

i tried to burn the card both on linux and as well as windows but same results.
msuthar25

Re: Board not booting

Postby AndrewStone » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:41 pm

Do you see the board appear in your DCHP table on your router? It's MAC should start with 04.

Also, when I first made the SD card, I copied the file to "parallella.bin.bin" not to ".bit.bin":
cp <parallella-bit-release>.bin <sd-device-path>/BOOT/parallella.bit.bin

So check your SD card for fat-fingering, maybe post the ls here.
AndrewStone

Postby FHuettig » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:03 pm

If you get to the point that the green Ethernet LED is solid and the orange LED blinks then the board has booted to the point that the Ethernet is running and should have at least tried to get an address via DHCP. I use nmap to scan for the board address nearly every day because I have several boards and more than one subnet, it seems reliable.

One issue I have run into that causes problems with Ethernet happens if the same SD card is used on more than one system. The OS keeps a record of the MAC address for each ETH#, so changing to a different board will increment the "#". That's OK by itself, but if the system then tries to start eth0 specifically it will fail. To check/fix this, delete the file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and see if that helps. This is fixed on the very latest SD image but it may have been a problem on the previous image.

HTH
-- Fred -- Hardware Guy --
FHuettig

Postby msuthar25 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:58 am

Andrewstone,

No i am not able to see the board's MAC in my list of devices
msuthar25

Postby greytery » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:19 am

tery
greytery

Postby teekai » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:53 am

I had similar issue

Tried with HDMI got NO HDMI output signal and NO NETWORK connection

Tried the HEADLESS then I was able to get Network Connection. The green light is solid and orange light blink sometime. Verify with the router, it is there in the DHCP table and I was able to PING it but can't SSH login

I got the version of board with large HEATSINK but it got finger burning hot after leaving it about 2h on while I tried to image my other sd card.

It seem harder to get everything working properly than it looks
teekai

Postby teekai » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:05 am

Ok It is working for me now
I'm using Window Installation Instructions to create my sd card
1) Download Ubuntu http://www.parallella.org/create-sdcard/ as instructed in the page
2) Download Kernel as instructed in the page above
3) This is where I was making a mistake. My board has Zynq 7010 Chip instead Zynq 7020 and I kept getting the 7020 version for my board thats why it didn't work. Check your board code. My is P1601-DK03 and I check the Parallella Board Version History http://www.parallella.org/boardhistory/ It said Z7010

The rest of the instruction is basically the same.

After 2 frustrating days trying to make it work. Now I'm relief knowing the board is working
teekai

Postby sommaz » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:36 am

I am also facing similar problem the board is not booting. I have Parallella-16 Zynq 7010 board (small heat sink).
What I did?
1. I followed the steps mentioned in http://www.parallella.org/create-sdcard/ to create the sd card. After that I checked the BOOT section of the micro-SD card and it seems its fine.
2. Connect the wires mentioned in http://www.parallella.org/quick-start/ ..
Remark: I connect to the power source and also connect to the laptop via the USB (micro-USB-male). I did not use powered- usb hubs to connect mouse, keyboard etc.
BUT
What error I am getting:
1. NO HDMI signal
2. No orange light is ON only the green light (next to Ethernet cable) is ON. <Does it mean the system is booting??>
3. But the other two green lights are ON.

The board is touched many times does it damage the board? How to know it is damaged?
In the manual its written that there is a RESET BUTTON, PLEASE tell me where it is as I did not find that on the board.

Please help..
sommaz

Postby adexmont » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:36 pm

The reset button is a small black point about 2 cm above the 2 cpu chip.
the response of your board remind me to the first try of boot, then i re download from github the boot files re-decompress and re-copy to the sd card, then everything works fine before i put the hand on it :D

this are the official place where you should be able to retrive everything you need:

https://github.com/parallella/
http://downloads.parallella.org/
adexmont

Postby krovetz » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:13 pm

I just received my 7010-based board, installed the heatsink, and did the following three times with the same result each time.

1. Built sd card as per instructions (7010, headless, no hdmi).
2. Booted, found IP via dhcp table, logged on via ssh successfully.
3. sudo reboot, wait a couple of minutes.
4. system does not contact dhcp server, does not respond to ping or ssh at old address, and cannot be reached.
5. Power cycle... same result. Unreachable.

I've tried variations: different sd card, poweroff instead of reboot; same result.

Any idea why a first boot would be fine, but a reboot doesn't work? The orange ethernet light does blink intermittently.
krovetz

Return to Linux/U-Boot