[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Parallella Ubuntu 14.04 release

Parallella Ubuntu 14.04 release

Forum about Parallella boot process, linux kernel, distros, SD-cards, etc.

Re: Parallella Ubuntu 14.04 release

Postby maynarde » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:03 pm

Martin-

Progress is good!

Looks like you have some networking running if the time gets set properly - I am pretty sure there isn't an RTC available. One difference I noticed is that your network device security succeeds - mine fails every time. Are you, by chance, trying to connect up through WiFi? I plug in directly to my laptop with an ethernet cable. I was able to get wifi working but I had to do some twiddling.
maynarde

Postby capiman » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:11 pm

@Maynarde

Parallella is connected to a Ethernet Hub which is connected to a router which is connected via DSL to the internet.
There is no Wifi in this way at all, but of course the router has Wifi built-in which is used by other computers.
So in general the Parallella board is able to get an address via DHCP from the router and also can connect to the Internet,
if it wants to do so.

I have meanwhile switched to HDMI version (just changed the files in BOOT, as you suggested),
and now this works great! I tried booting 3 times and all 3 times, connection was up and running,
and I was able to connect via SSH.

I also was just able to download a file from the internet (almost 1 MBytes) without a problem.

Can you connect not via laptop, but directly via cable to your router?
capiman

Postby maynarde » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:47 pm

Excellent news!

I have been able to connect my Parallella to the Internet via Internet Connection Sharing (windows), wifi, and direct into my router.

As I said, you can leave your device configured with HDMI and it only costs you a little heat. Do not be surprised if every once in a while you need to do the power cycle thing - at least you know that your device works now. Also, for giggles, you should try the headless configuration at some point in the future to see if it suddenly "works". Best time to do this would be after running "sudo upgrade" on your Parallella to make sure your Linux kernel is patched.

Have fun!
maynarde

Postby ZenoArrow » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:59 pm

ZenoArrow

Postby ameetgandhare » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:03 am

Hi All,

I tried executing "sync" after step 4 .It did not work, wth logs saying samething again. I think if a raw device i(/dev/sdc2) s being accessed, sync may not be necessary since the policy is "write through" as file system cache (page cache) is not in the picture. My apologies if I am wrong.

I am trying to dd the file on micro SDHC card that is kept in a SDHC adapter card which comes with the Parallella board. This SDHC card shell containing 16GB micro SDHC card, is then put into a SDHC card reader that interfaces to the PC/Linux over USB. I am able to copy the ../BOOT files correctly and boot the kernel ,but mount / (root) file system still fails.
Kindly explain, why it might be failing in my case. It seems many a folks have got it done successfully.
I am thinking of creating a distro image my self. Any inputs on how to do that would be welcome.

Can the developers give the source of the of 14.04 image that I will copy to the card. That will require syncing after formatting with ext4 before unmounting /dev/sdX2.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Ameet
ameetgandhare

Postby 9600 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:56 am

The recipe can be found in the .

Regards,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby shodruk » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:51 am

I still can't get sounds through HDMI using parallella_e16_hdmi_gpiose_7020.bit.bin. :?

using these files.
8676219f8067cab68589f0ab7a105651 ubuntu-14.04-140611.img.gz
8eab4b6228e32a0432279f76de51300f kernel-hdmi-140603.tgz
d920ca30ce6c1a9b1da841fa18e5dda3 parallella_e16_hdmi_gpiose_7020.bit.bin

SMPlayer, aplay and other sound programs hang when playing sounds via HDMI.
How can I solve this?
(I have no problem with rel.14.02.06/parallella.bit.bin)
Shodruky
shodruk

Postby spanier » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:55 pm

Hi everybody

I have recently started using my Parallella 64 core board after a delay caused by me going on holiday. I followed the instructions for Mac OSX users on creating an image (http://www.parallella.org/create-sdcard/). All well and good EXCEPT ....

The included esdk does not have a board support package for the Parallella 64 core version (unless I have to use the zed_E64G4_512mb one). The git repository adapteva/epiphany-libs does have two listed and no idea which one I should be using. Any ideas and pointers to get me on my way. I also am hoping that test directory within the epiphany-examples will be able to determine how many cores I will be able to use.

I did buy the parallella kit including the case, but because I needed a fan I ended up buying another case (https://github.com/abopen/parallella-open-case).

I have added the apt packages for parallella snapshots, so installed xtemp without needing to compile the code. I also ended up installing tightvncserver because with my HDMI plasma television, I get the edges chopped off so can't see everything. I wonder if it is to do with overscan - don't have time to explore this further at the time being.

Thanks
Jonathan
spanier

Postby 9600 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:31 pm

May be that if you force a different resolution it will display properly.

Regards,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby ameetgandhare » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:25 pm

Attachments
LogWithSourceRootFileSystem.txt
(44.47 KiB) Downloaded 1377 times
ameetgandhare

PreviousNext

Return to Linux/U-Boot