[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Problems with serial login and possibly booting

Problems with serial login and possibly booting

Forum about Parallella boot process, linux kernel, distros, SD-cards, etc.

Re: Problems with serial login and possibly booting

Postby shodruk » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:21 pm

Shodruky
shodruk

Postby timbat » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:07 pm

Shodruck, thanks, your information was key to me being able to boot my Parallella for the first time.

Disabling the serial console was what it took for me.
timbat

Postby over9000 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:32 pm

over9000

Postby shodruk » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:35 am

Shodruky
shodruk

Postby greytery » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:07 pm

tery
greytery

Postby shodruk » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:33 pm

Shodruky
shodruk

Postby greytery » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:55 pm

Will follow that network rules advice, thanks very much.
Also, I have not yet checked out the lightweight windows packages tips. I was thinking of adding xrdp to allow remote connection to parallella(s) from Windows 7; better than VNC for what I want. Will continue to play and report back.

tery
tery
greytery

Postby fuzz » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:28 am

So I just got my Parallella board today :D I don't have an OTG cable on hand, so I hooked up a level shifter to the UART pins and installed the headless bitstream and kernel.

Unfortunately it wouldn't give me a login prompt, and found this thread.

I compiled a device tree to change kernel parameters to drop into single user mode, and that gave me a prompt so I could setup static networking to SSH in.

I was playing with upstart scripts as getty wasn't running on the serial port and found that /dev/console is actually tied to /dev/ttyPS0, yet initctl list |grep console shows that it is not started because it would only start when in a container?!?

The baudrate is also set to 38400 in /etc/init/console.conf which matters, so I changed to 115200 and removed "and container CONTAINER=lxc"

After a reboot, I do get the junk characters being sent over (something else likely writing to /dev/console), but now get a working login prompt :)

EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
VFS: Mounted root (ext4 filesystem) on device 179:2.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 188K (c0878000 - c08a7000)
Mount failed for selinuxfs on /sys/fs/selinux: No such file or directory
�Z+����嵽�ѡ����х�ѵɥ����j�����ɽ���*���������ݹ���5Starting fake hwclock: loading system time.(895) terminated with status 1
Fri Jul 4 02:17:47 UTC 2014
* Setting up X socket directories... [ OK ]

Linaro 14.04 linaro-nano console

linaro-nano login:

Looking forward to playing with this board!
fuzz

Postby patwood » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:09 pm

Looks like auto-serial-console is also running at the same time as the console service. You can disable it by either appending the line

manual

to /etc/init/auto-serial-console.conf or setting ENABLED=0 in /etc/default/autogetty.
patwood

Postby jjg » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:03 am

I may be experiencing a similar issue (as posted here: http://forums.parallella.org/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1496)

Do the latest images on this page still have this problem?

http://www.parallella.org/create-sdcard/

- Jason
jjg

PreviousNext

Return to Linux/U-Boot