[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - How to get WiFi working?

How to get WiFi working?

Forum about Parallella boot process, linux kernel, distros, SD-cards, etc.

Re: How to get WiFi working?

Postby ssudheen » Sun May 10, 2015 1:36 am

Hi,
Am trying to get Parallel board recognize my Wifi adapter (Edimax - RTL8188CUS). Rebuilt the kernel as per exact instructions given here. I have also built and installed the modules. The board boots successfully and gets IP (on ethernet); Can see it my router DHCP table and can ping as well. However, SSH/FTP returns port blocked.I am running the board headless and only way to get in is through SSH. So, have no access to logs or console as of now. SSH starts working when I bring back the old kernel. My guess is that it is something to do with permissions. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Update on 5/10:
Tried all possible options. Started fresh with headless image on a new SD card. Works fine with default kernel. Shuts me out completely as soon as I install the new kernel. I installed telnet to make sure the problem is not with ssh. Need help !! This is almost third day in row to make my Wi-fi work :cry:

Cheers
Sudhee
Cheers
Sudhee
ssudheen

Postby 9600 » Sun May 10, 2015 7:47 pm

Have you tried booting with your new kernel, then powering off, removing the Micro SD card and mounting it on another machine to look at the logs in /var/log for clues?

And is there no way you could attach a monitor, or it's a Micro Server board attach a USB UART?

Regards,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby ssudheen » Thu May 14, 2015 6:00 am

Apologies... was traveling and could not answer your queries immediately.

I mounted the SD card on my Raspberry Pi. Looks like there are no entries being made... while ping still works. To make sure, I initialized (cat /dev/null> filename> syslog, lastlog, kern.log and auth.log on RasPi and rebooted parallella - checked for access - powered off (can't do a shutdown) and then re-mounted the SD card on RasPi. All log files have remained 0 bytes - no change in timestamp as well. Ethernet comes up and "ping" still works !! Is there something I am missing ?

FYI.. I am using Parallel Desktop. Am trying to get a USB to TTL converter for console access. Unfortunately, this is delayed due to my travel.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Sudhee

p.s. nmap from RasPi to Parallel shows that host is up, but all 1000 ports are blocked. I can still revert to the original kernel and use the system perfectly fine... without wi-fi though :-)
Cheers
Sudhee
ssudheen

Postby 9600 » Thu May 14, 2015 12:49 pm

Sounds to me like it's not mounting the root filesystem, else mounting it R/O for some reason. Hopefully UART access will give much greater insight. Note that if you want to log in this way you will need to edit the devicetree, as console on UART is disabled by default as it causes the USB to become unstable.

Regards,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby ssudheen » Fri May 15, 2015 6:59 am

Quick update:
While waiting for USB-TTL adapter , tried the HDMI image. Wireless works flawlessly !!

I need the headless version to work though. Will keep posted on progress and findings.

Cheers
Sudhee
Cheers
Sudhee
ssudheen

Previous

Return to Linux/U-Boot