[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - How to build a kernel on a Parallela board

How to build a kernel on a Parallela board

Forum about Parallella boot process, linux kernel, distros, SD-cards, etc.

Re: How to build a kernel on a Parallela board

Postby Kelledin » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:05 pm

For those who are interested in running a more up-to-date kernel:

I took a diff of the Parallella 3.12.0 kernel and forward-ported it to 3.12.24. Surprisingly, it was mostly a clean patch, although I had to resolve some manual conflicts. The one area I'm most worried about is in drivers/dma/xilinx_dma.c; the device_prep_dma_cyclic() callback prototype has changed to include a flags parameter, and I'm not sure what should be done with that on our platform. Use of this new parameter is spotty across several other DMA drivers though (not just the Xilinx driver), so I suspect it's not that much of a problem to ignore it for now.

(I looked at the latest linux-xlnx 3.14/3.15 git tree to see what it's doing there, but the Xilinx DMA driver has been massively rearchitected and split into three pieces.)

In any event I've got the updated kernel booting, and it appears to be working reasonably well so far, given the hour or so of run-time. YMMV.

The attached patch fits right into the vanilla 3.12.24 kernel.

EDIT: really, no support for .xz? Fine, eat an extra 400K. :roll:
Attachments
linux-3.12.24-parallella.patch.gz
(1021.86 KiB) Downloaded 1450 times
Kelledin

Postby yanidubin » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:23 am

Hi kelledin - I came across your post, because I am interested in the linux-xlnx kernel. But in particular I am after the DMA drivers which seem to have been an issue for you. Anything new since July?

I'm thinking of , see if I can get FPGA DMA working, and then might try to port this across (will at least have a reference so can see if I break stuff where right option is not so clear). Or perhaps someone will have ported it by then.
yanidubin

Postby Gowrav » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:24 pm

@shodruk, Hi this was my first attempt at building the kernel, I followed the post point to point even though the build process had quite a few warnings it yielded a kernel of ~5MB., but the parallella board refused to boot after that and ends with an error in 'clk' file and ending with kernel panic in earlyprintk in the bootargs of devicetree.

I am trying to add the support for realtek wireless adapter rtl8188eu, with the zynq7010 parallella 16 board which is currently booting linaro with default hdmi kernel files.
Gowrav

Postby jahorin » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:17 pm

jahorin

Postby dcd4408 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:24 pm

dcd4408

Previous

Return to Linux/U-Boot