How to build a cluster

How to build a cluster

Postby tuanphat » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:41 am

I a newbie and want to build a cluster. Anyone pls help me how to do that, what software I have to use?

Thanks!
tuanphat

Re: How to build a cluster

Postby over9000 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:59 pm

tuanphat wrote:I a newbie and want to build a cluster. Anyone pls help me how to do that, what software I have to use?

Thanks!

You don't have to use any particular software, but PVM (Parallel Virtual Machine) and MPI (Message-Passing Interface) are commonly used. The latter is more popular.

If you're getting started, you might want to look at distcc. It lets you spread out the compilation of programs (eg, the Linux kernel) over several machines. Some of the things you'll do when setting up that (eg, configuring ssh to allow the "master" machine to log into "worker" machines without a password) will be applicable to other cluster programs you run.

These links should give a good intro to building clusters:

* http://hackaday.com/2013/05/21/33-node- ... pberry-pi/
* http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Building_a_Beowulf_Cluster
over9000

Postby manklee » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:10 am

manklee

Postby aleruete » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:06 am

Hello,
here it is a challenge to you patience explaining thing to a newbie (me) :D . To build a cluster, can I use only Parallella servers boards (the cheapest)?
If so, how do I set them up without plugging a screen/keyboard? Is that what MPI or PVM are used for? can I use a regular PC to control them? I'm starting to explore this posibility as an alternative to rent cluster time on the cloud or at other universities.
Thank you

Ale
aleruete

Postby sebraa » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:09 pm

aleruete wrote:To build a cluster, can I use only Parallella servers boards (the cheapest)?
No, you can use any kind of computer. Parallella, PC, Notebook, Server, Smartphone, ... it depends purely on the software you use on those machines.

aleruete wrote:If so, how do I set them up without plugging a screen/keyboard?
By default, a Parallella will ask the network for its IP address and start an SSH server. You can connect to it to get shell access.

aleruete wrote:Is that what MPI or PVM are used for? can I use a regular PC to control them?
No and Yes.

aleruete wrote:I'm starting to explore this posibility as an alternative to rent cluster time on the cloud or at other universities.
Any group of Linux machines can reasonably easy be used as a cluster, including the Parallella. However, you won't be using the Epiphany chip unless you write code for it. This is harder than just installing cluster software.
sebraa

Return to Clustering