does the board contains thermal sensor(s) ?

Any technical questions about the Epiphany chip and Parallella HW Platform.

Moderator: aolofsson

Re: does the board contains thermal sensor(s) ?

Postby Janos » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:11 am

Really handy script guys, thanks.

Quick note for those who perhaps don't know Linux well, you will probably need to install bc to run the code:
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install bc

Then you can use watch to run the script in a loop so you can monitor temp. This runs once a second:
watch -n 1 ./ztemp.sh
Janos of The Scottish BOINC Team
http://www.tsbt.co.uk
Janos

Postby FHuettig » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:41 am

Check the xtemp program from https://github.com/parallella/parallella-examples. It opens an x-window that plots the measured zynq temperature over time. Feel free to re-use the code that does the measurement for any other purpose.

-Fred
-- Fred -- Hardware Guy --
FHuettig

Postby bszente » Tue May 27, 2014 7:40 pm

ubii wrote:Below is a quick and simple bash script, which displays the temperature of Zynq chip in both Celsius and Fahrenheit, using the method which I previously described.

Your script and xtemp as well is showing 110 C for my board. Are you sure the temperature reading method is OK? 110 C seems pretty much to me. I have the heatsink on the Zynq and the board is in the official Parallella case. The board is hot indeed, but I can touch it and hold my hand on it.

For safety I ordered today a fan like this, as recommended on the Parallella Blog: Image
bszente

Postby greytery » Tue May 27, 2014 8:28 pm

bszente wrote:<edit>
ubii wrote:Below is a quick and simple bash script, which displays the temperature of Zynq chip in both Celsius and Fahrenheit, using the method which I previously described.

I have the heatsink on the Zynq and the board is in the official Parallella case. The board is hot indeed, but I can touch it and hold my hand on it.
For safety I ordered today a fan

110C = 230F. I wouldn't touch that if I were you :o
110F = 43C. More like the target with a heatsink.
Can you confirm that the reading is in C and not F?

Get the fan anyway.

tery.
tery
greytery

Postby FHuettig » Tue May 27, 2014 8:42 pm

bszente wrote:Your script and xtemp as well is showing 110 C for my board. Are you sure the temperature reading method is OK? 110 C seems pretty much to me. I have the heatsink on the Zynq and the board is in the official Parallella case. The board is hot indeed, but I can touch it and hold my hand on it.

110 is much too hot, the rating for these commercial-grade chips is +85C. I'm afraid the parallella cases are not usable without adding a fan, otherwise the heat sink just causes the air in the case to heat up faster. Even without the case, those small heat sinks are not large enough without airflow.
-- Fred -- Hardware Guy --
FHuettig

Postby bszente » Wed May 28, 2014 7:40 am

greytery wrote:Can you confirm that the reading is in C and not F?

Yes, I can confirm it:
# uptime && ./ztemp.sh
 06:08:24 up 13 min,  3 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.56, 0.40

Zynq Temp: 100.4 C / 212.7 F

I made a chart with the temperature variation without and with the case, room temperature was +22.5C:
temp_chart.png
Temperature chart
temp_chart.png (22.42 KiB) Viewed 3129 times

Around minute ~5 I started a Youtube video in Firefox. Around minute ~10 I closed Firefox and started the Mandelbrot example. So yes, there is a BIG difference.

Even if the Zynq is rated to +85C it behaves very stable at those high temperatures, so it is kind of difficult to notice the overheating without monitoring or touching the board. So, I'm waiting now for the fan before further tests.
bszente

Postby 9600 » Wed May 28, 2014 7:48 am

bszente wrote:Even if the Zynq is rated to +85C it behaves very stable at those high temperatures, so it is kind of difficult to notice the overheating without monitoring or touching the board. So, I'm waiting now for the fan before further tests.

You are far braver than I am — I would not be comfortable running so hot, even if the system remains stable!

Regards,

Andrew
Andrew Back (a.k.a. 9600 / carrierdetect)

Postby greytery » Wed May 28, 2014 9:42 am

Thanks for confirmation, bszente. It sounded too horrific.
You are right to be worried - far too hot - get that fan!!

I wonder : have you fixed the heatsink to the Zynq correctly?

tery
tery
greytery

Postby bszente » Wed May 28, 2014 10:36 am

9600 wrote:You are far braver than I am — I would not be comfortable running so hot, even if the system remains stable

Well it is not about bravery, but the seriousness of the overheating. Using a fan is definitely not a joke or exaggeration. That's why I don't use the board for the moment, and I wait for the fan. I guess there are people who think the heatsink is enough (because AFAIK initially this is how it was said - but in the mean time this has changed) and the necessity of the fan is just a "nice to have thing", but it isn't so.

So as a conclusion: the fan is a must, without fan the board certainly will break.

greytery wrote:I wonder : have you fixed the heatsink to the Zynq correctly?

I guess so. If I blow air on the heatsink, the temperature immediately decreases a few degrees (5 or even 10 degrees) and the heatsink is extremely hot, I cannot hold my hand on it. All these are signs of a good contact between Zynq and the heatsink. I'm pretty sure the fan will do it's job and will keep the Zynq cool. I will come back with more info, when I received the fan.
bszente

Postby Dr.BeauWebber » Sat May 31, 2014 9:09 pm

There are more temperature graph examples (using xtemp) for various fan configurations at :
Another simple fan for the Adapteva case
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1156
Dr.BeauWebber

PreviousNext

Return to Epiphany and Parallella Q & A