[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Show your Parallella!!

Show your Parallella!!

Any technical questions about the Epiphany chip and Parallella HW Platform.

Moderator: aolofsson

Re: Show your Parallella!!

Postby timpart » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:37 am

I searched for "heatsink BGA 15mm" since that is the package the Epiphany comes in. Many also come with fixing tape. I don't have a board to check that size works though.

Tim
timpart

Postby 9600 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:12 am

Andrew Back

Postby ubii » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:28 pm

Claggy, hewsmike, timpart, 9600,

Thanks for the feedback, most of what I have found so far has either had the wrong dimensions or has required a large minimum order.

Any chance you can ask the Adepteva folks where they sourced their heatsinks from or see if they might be willing to sell extra heatsinks through their online store?
ubii

Postby greytery » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:04 pm

If Adapteva can point at a few good/compatible heatsink candidates that would be v. helpful. Sourcing/shipping from your local shop would tend to be cheaper.

I think that the ATS maxiFLOW heatsinks look to have good heat profiles and come in range of sizes.
So for example ( see digi-key US site) :
ATS1130-ND (15mm x 15mm x 17.5mm) for Epiphany
ATS1131-ND (17mm x 17mm x 17.5mm) for Zynq/ARM
A bit tall perhaps for the case, but lower profiles are available.
I hesitate to recommend them 'cos they seem to cost a bomb!!! - esp with shipping and VAT :shock: - but they DO look rather cool.
- and I mean Cool 8-)

tery
tery
greytery

Postby billsey » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:33 am

So I have a of heatsinks on order for the Epiphany chip, but they're not going to arrive from China for a month or so. What should I be doing in the mean time? Point a big fan at the desk? :)
billsey

Postby 9600 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:52 pm

Yes, point a big fan at the Zynq chip and run up the xtemp application from the parallella-examples repository, so that you can keep an eye on the temperature. Although a heatsink for the Zynq should have been supplied with the board.

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby Basic » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:04 pm

Basic

Postby fbutler » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:45 pm

A pair of Parallellas with open cases purchased from abopen.com:

And yes, I forgot to trim the fan wires before soldering the M3 Solder tags to them and applying the heatshrink. :)

They still look great though, and hopefully the fan, along with the two heatsinks will keep the chips nice and cool.

Parallellas with cases 033 small.JPG
Parallellas with cases 033 small.JPG (40.27 KiB) Viewed 50562 times
fbutler

Postby optimaler » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:50 pm

somanyparallellas.jpg
somanyparallellas.jpg (71.35 KiB) Viewed 50349 times
Edit: lawl, picture was too big the first time.

Here is my testing setup for my cluster. Note that board eight is down at the moment; the switch doesn't have enough ports for me to connect all of the boards at once and still be able to ssh. Next on the list is NFS mounts to my home file server and either PBS or SLURM for easy job launching. Thanks Adapteva!
optimaler

Postby aolofsson » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:07 pm

Optimaler,
Thanks! That's really great to see! Would love to hear more about your complete setup with NSF and slurm once done. I am sure many here could benefit from your experience.
Andreas
aolofsson

PreviousNext

Return to Epiphany and Parallella Q & A