[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Running without sudo

Running without sudo

Any technical questions about the Epiphany chip and Parallella HW Platform.

Moderator: aolofsson

Running without sudo

Postby jolting » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:44 am

Is there any way to run the epiphany processor as a standard user. I noticed that parallella requires access /dev/mem directly.
I want to let my friend run the epiphany, but I don't trust him as root. I read a suggestion that UIO could be used for user access to the epiphany, but I'm not familiar enough with it yet to decide how much effort it will be to get it working. Any suggestions would be helpful.
jolting

Re: Running without sudo

Postby AlbertoGP » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:47 am

I'm interested in this too. I didn't know about UIO but it seems like a good way to do it. For now I'm using a server running as root to access the chip and the user interface connects as client to it.

I've found this article exactly about accessing a memory-mapped FPGA device in the ZYNQ on a ZedBoard:
https://fpgacpu.wordpress.com/2013/05/2 ... -part-two/

There it says that the ADI kernel has the UIO drivers included in the source tree but not in the default configuration.
The Parallella kernel is forked from that one and sure enough, it has the drivers:
https://github.com/parallella/parallell ... rivers/uio

They are not activated in the default configurations, but it seems that you could get them by compiling your own kernel.
The configuration files are parallella_defconfig and parallella_lite_defconfig, and both of them have "# CONFIG_UIO is not set":
https://github.com/parallella/parallell ... nfig#L2584
https://github.com/parallella/parallell ... nfig#L2584

That's all I know so far.
AlbertoGP

Postby shodruk » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:02 am

Shodruky
shodruk

Postby AlbertoGP » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:41 am

AlbertoGP