[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - OpenCV OCL with Epiphany/Parallella

OpenCV OCL with Epiphany/Parallella

Moderator: dar

OpenCV OCL with Epiphany/Parallella

Postby Kjetil » Tue May 14, 2013 2:21 pm

I know the development with Epiphany/Parallella is at an early stage, but I’d like to throw a question out here so I can plan accordingly; Can we expect to see the Epiphany/Parallella hardware supported by in the future :?:
Kjetil

Re: OpenCV OCL with Epiphany/Parallella

Postby Kjetil » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:44 pm

Noone knows?
Kjetil

Postby aolofsson » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:27 pm

Sorry for the slow reply. The straight vector usage model of OpenCL is not well suited for the Epiphany architecture due to our memory architecture. Epiphany runs more effectively on moderately sized kernels on chunks of data. We looked into OpenCV OCL briefly and it did not seem like a great fit Would appreciate inputs from others..
Andreas
aolofsson

Postby dar » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:02 am

I see two issues that could be problematic. First, image support was not prioritized in the OpenCL baseline implementation available now. Second, the OpenCV OpenCL code will be tuned to GPUs and so I would expect that there might be issues running the code without modification, without tuning for Epiphany processor which is different from a GPU. Both issues could be addressed in the future, but OpenCV is a large project and so it would require some effort to port the code to Epiphany.
dar

Postby stealthpaladin » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:28 am

Just to note, I would expect feature detection features similar to OpenCV to be available, as I will be providing an open source package for them around the first of next year. This is one of the primary focuses of my signal-based projects and will likely be one of the first libraries a small team of us develop.

I can't fully ensure what role OpenCL will play right now. It may be implemented largely on FPGA logic with Epiphany crunching the data.
However I'm practically in love with OpenCL so I'd expect some hooks to make it work =)
stealthpaladin

Postby Gravis » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:37 pm

i think the better way of going about this is to modify to use Epiphany. though, i'm certain this will take some creative programming if you really want to harness the entire power of the Epiphany's ability to scale to lots of cores.
Gravis

Postby harking » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:15 am

harking

Postby Gravis » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:47 am

Gravis

Return to OpenCL