[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - OpenCL is the best.

OpenCL is the best.

Moderator: dar

OpenCL is the best.

Postby Ariemeth » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:59 am

This is the reason I was excited about the Parallella board. Too bad I'll have to suffice with 16 cores instead of 64.
Ariemeth

Re: OpenCL is the best.

Postby Dade » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:15 am

I'm looking forward to OpenCL support too :D

BTW, is there going to be an "official" OpenCL SDK for Parallella or the community is going to need a port of one of the open source version available ?
, , , ,
Dade

Postby the_summer » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:28 am

Can you recommend a good ressource for learning OpenCL. I am familiar with general C/C++ programming, but parallel needs a different way of thinking I guess.

Best regards,
the_summer

Postby BlueByLiquid » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:37 am

@thesummer,

OpenCL in Action is very good. Also Heterogenous Computing with OpenCL as well as "The OpenCL Programming Guide" are very good. I have them all and they are all very good in their own ways. OpenCL in action is the easiest read if you are new to OpenCL.

If you are looking for free resources there are a number out their. Amd and nvidia have their own guides but they are geared towards their own hardware. Also intel has a small amount of coverage on the subject. I would highly recommend any of the books as they are pretty complete coverage. That said this board will be different than programming for a GPU or a CPU but the concepts and language will still be demonstrated well in the books.
BlueByLiquid

Postby the_summer » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:41 am

Thank you very much. I will see, if I can get one of the books before Christmas. ;-)
the_summer

Postby Marco » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:17 pm

Same here. I've got no idea how to write parallel code, but hopefully the pdf book supplyed by Parallella will help. ;)
Marco

Postby Ariemeth » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:29 pm

The biggest hurdle for me when I started working on parallel code was getting over how ugly the code looked when set up to be efficiently run in parallel. I find both "OpenCL Programming Guide" and "Heterogeneous Computing with OpenCL" which just released a second edition to both be very good.
Ariemeth

Postby jar » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:34 pm

For those of you interested in the Parallella SDK, see the 'current' branch () of the COPRTHR SDK (). I'm not sure if Adapteva is going to be supporting a fork of this code but this is what they're basing the Parallella SDK on.

The COPRTHR SDK includes an OpenCL 1.1 implementation with a compiler based on GNU/GCC that supports x86_64, ARM, and Epiphany microarchitectures. Also included is a lightweight interface to OpenCL, called Standard Compute Layer (STDCL), that should ease the development of new codes and new programmers. For those of you that have written OpenCL codes, you know how verbose the API can be. The STDCL interface is closer to the CUDA API in simplicity yet portable across architectures and other vendors OpenCL implementations.

The SDK also includes other tools related to OpenCL software development such as clcc (an offline OpenCL kernel compilation tool) and cltrace (a tool used to trace OpenCL API calls).

There's a lot more to the SDK, but this should help you guys get started. See some of the example codes that are included ().
jar

Postby Ariemeth » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:45 pm

The Cltrace was handy at times.
Last edited by Ariemeth on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ariemeth

Postby jar » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:05 pm

jar

Next

Return to OpenCL