opencl version = 1.0? and other things

Moderator: dar

opencl version = 1.0? and other things

Postby notzed » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:12 pm

The cl.h defines the version as 1.1 but none of the 1.1 entry points are in libocl.so. The release and parallella app notes don't mention any opencl version that I can see.

I guess I answered my own question, but just to confirm it's just 1.0 and thus cl.h is incorrect? I presume normally libOpenCL does something to handle the driver version via missing dispatch table entries but I can't see any other mechanism here apart from the #define.

There's a couple of other issues I found/had of not major importance, is this the place to bring them up?
notzed

Re: opencl version = 1.0? and other things

Postby dar » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:59 am

You should consider the API to be 1.0 and also be aware that the implementation is neither complete nor fully conformant, and no claims to the contrary are made. There are minor places where the 1.1 conventions are supported, where the 1.0 standard was essentially corrected. A baseline API is provided here for Epiphany in the hope that it is useful for programmers. What has been implemented are those API calls found to be useful in practice, the common ones. In some cases deficiencies might be trivial to add, whereas in other cases there are reasons for not addressing them for Epiphany since it is very far removed from a GPU. There is no harm in asking, so feature requests can be posted to this forum and they will be considered.

It is important to understand that an OpenCL application written for a GPU is unlikely to work well on Parallella without accommodating the very different architecture of Epiphany. Furthermore, OpenCL as an API has reasonable coverage for Epiphany, but its not a perfect match - Epiphany has features not accessible via OpenCL and OpenCL has requirements that are not well-suited for Epiphany. OpenCL is primarily a GPU API, that was the context in which it was designed.

For this reason, we offer alternative APIs that might be better suited for a processor like Epiphany, and other processors like it, e.g., MIC, that are both easier to use and expose the features of the architecture. Every programmer must find the API that is right for them and their application.

You mentioned other issues you found - yes, please post them here. Feedback is always welcome, it allows us to improve the SDK. Thanks.
dar

Re: opencl version = 1.0? and other things

Postby notzed » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:39 am

The rest of coprthr doesn't really interest me right now sorry (which is why i'm posting in the opencl forum ;-). I'm interested in opencl because of the api portability with fits well with java's.

I've just assumed that the api is opencl 1.0 for now for my binding. It's not something i'm probably going to use myself outside of curiosity but it helped me fix some portability issues anyway.
notzed

Return to OpenCL