How to develop for Parallella using ssh?

Discussion about Parallella (and Epiphany) Software Development

Moderators: amylaar, jeremybennett, simoncook

How to develop for Parallella using ssh?

Postby Olaf » Sat May 14, 2016 8:44 pm

I am pretty new to Linux, and especially Linux developing, no experience with git yet.
(I am experienced in C++ (Windows) )

I tried to hook up my Parallella desktop to my monitor and a USB board. I see linux on my monitor but the keyboard fails to operate.
So I try to develop some code to work via ssh, used vi and gcc and I can get my hello world.

But for a big application, this is painfully slow.

How do you develop for Parallella?
Is there a way to remote desktop?
Olaf

Re: How to develop for Parallella using ssh?

Postby nickoppen » Sun May 15, 2016 12:24 am

Olaf, I feel your pain. I'm amazed how much vi I can remember from my undergraduate years.

First, using ssl make sure that you have the light weight x-windows desktop environment installed:

sudo apt-get install lxde

Then install vnc:

sudo apt-get install tightvncserver

On your windows machine get a vnc client. I use UltraVNC.

Start the server on the parallella, I use:

vncserver :1 -geometry 1920x1200 -depth 24

but your geometry will depend on the size of your screen.

This will ask for a password on the first execution and then give a response with friendly name, e.g "New 'X' desktop is parallella:1" (The :1 is the first argument from the vncserver command. If you want to have more just use :2 :3 etc)

Then start your VNC client and use parallella:1 (or the IP address with the :1 added) as the address of your vnc server. When you connect you get a tool bar across the top of the UltraVNC window which you can remove using the expand button.

The LXDE environment is not the "best" available but compared to ssh and vi it is a dream.

Good luck.

nick
Sharing is what makes the internet Great!
nickoppen

Postby cmcconnell » Sun May 15, 2016 1:03 am

xrdp is another alternative, if you'd rather use the built-in Windows remote desktop client, rather than VNC.
Colin.
cmcconnell

Postby Olaf » Sun May 15, 2016 1:52 am

My background is Windows. I do have Linux installed on my PC that I now use for 90% of my time.

I prefer to use a linux VNC.

After the post I discovered Remmina, but I appear to be only able to select sftp or ssh for protocol.
On Youtube I discovered that there should be another option, but I can't seem to get it.

My end-goal is to become a professional developer in Linux too. The reason why I bought Parallella.

Also thanks for the responses :-)
Olaf

Postby leonfg » Thu May 19, 2016 5:54 am

I control parallella via ssh, write code in nfs shared directory on PC and parallella can directly compile and execute. But if you have a display feature in your code like showing image or video, a vnc server is needed.
leonfg

Return to Programming Q & A