[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - How do I place the libaplc library in external memory ?

How do I place the libaplc library in external memory ?

Discussion about Parallella (and Epiphany) Software Development

Moderators: amylaar, jeremybennett, simoncook

Re: How do I place the libaplc library in external memory ?

Postby ysapir » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:02 pm

ysapir

Postby ysapir » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:16 pm

By default, the e-run simulator uses a memory map different than that of the actual ZedBoard. When using external memory, I'd expect receiving error messages when addressing the Zed's external mem range in a simulated session. This is basically what you do when compiling with legacy.ldf and using the heap.

However, on your printouts, I see no such error messages. This suggests that the linker places the code internally (could you please check that with e-objdump?) and that the simple printf() does not require the heap (which makes sense). OTOH, more complex format strings do require dynamic memory allocation so heap is used. Then, I'd expect to see some errors.

When using e-run for ZedBoard built programs, please add the option: "--memory-region 0x8e000000,0x02000000" to the command line.
ysapir

Postby Dr.BeauWebber » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:34 pm

Dr.BeauWebber

Postby Dr.BeauWebber » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:38 pm

Dr.BeauWebber

Postby Dr.BeauWebber » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:54 am

Dr.BeauWebber

Postby Dr.BeauWebber » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:46 pm

OK, to see if I can build code that will run on the Epiphany cores, by building on my PC :

I have copied the directory where I build it to my PC;
Edit files so as to satisfy include and library calls;
Build new .elf and .srec files;
Copy these to the Debug folder on the ZedBoard.
Run the run script.

This procedure appears to be intact, in that I can change the text emitted by simple sprintf statements.
However I have failed to obtain text from the more complex sprintf statements.

Thus I conclude that in my libraries fprintf has been fixed, but sprintf is still effectively a no-op.

Until the c to .elf translation is fixed for fprintf and sprintf I can not think of anything more I can do to get Apl ported to the Epiphany cores. As I show in my previous posting, I can produce versions on my laptop that e-run on the Parallella armv7.
Dr.BeauWebber

Postby aolofsson » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:37 pm

Just want to throw in my two cents in case it was missed. You can load programs into the the Epiphany cores by using the e-gdb and e-server (as described in the SDK reference). What may not have been clear in the manual is that this allows the Epiphany core to "tunnel" through the gdb client to do file IO. (although there may be limitations, we have mostly used it for printf() )

Andreas
aolofsson

Postby Dr.BeauWebber » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:45 pm

Oh, that could be just what we need.
I will go read this documentation.
If you have an printf example, I can try it very quickly by turning on the Trace mode, which used printf.
Thanks indeed and congratulations to the whole team - I have just read the latest Kickstarter news item.
cheers, and all the best,
Beau
Dr.BeauWebber

Postby ysapir » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:36 am

A simple C "hello world" standard program should be fine for testing printf() with the debugger.

Note what Andreas offered is intended to run an Epiphany program, not a host-device program. As far as I understand, your host program merely serves as a print server, so you should be fine with replacing it by the debugger.
ysapir

Postby Dr.BeauWebber » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:59 pm

Dr.BeauWebber

PreviousNext

Return to Programming Q & A