[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Announcing the release of a Cross Development Environment

Announcing the release of a Cross Development Environment

Discussion about Parallella (and Epiphany) Software Development

Moderators: amylaar, jeremybennett, simoncook

Announcing the release of a Cross Development Environment

Postby ysapir » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:54 pm

ysapir

Re: Announcing the release of a Cross Development Environmen

Postby tnt » Wed May 01, 2013 9:41 pm

Unfortunately, this is just compilers and libc ... but if you want to compile something that uses any of the libs installed on the board, that won't work because of missing headers / libraries and such ...

A proper envirtonment would be something like OpenEmbedded which includes both all the libs headers / files and also the matching SD image and such.
tnt

Postby ysapir » Thu May 02, 2013 3:46 am

I am not quite sure what you mean? This is supposed to be a fully working development environment for cross-building a Parallella application. It works on my machine, but there's always the chance that some of the stuff is already installed somewhere on my PC but not on the tarball itself, which is why I'd like to have user's feedback. I have included the ARM cross compiler, Epiphany compiler, host libraries (in an ARM format) and Epiphany run-time library.

Did you find something missing? Could it be a matter of path definitions, etc?

BTW, the normal setup.sh script adds the paths for the e- binaries to your PATH. In this release, I also added the paths for the a- binaries. Please make sure you have sourced the setup.sh script. And, to make it clear, on my PC, I can build the whole application on Eclipse then rcopy only the host elf and Epiphany srec images, then run it on the ZedBoard. I don't need to build the application on the target platform. So, I wonder if there's something missing in the tarball that my environment finds somewhere else on my PC.
ysapir

Postby tnt » Thu May 02, 2013 6:52 am

Imagine that on the board I have installed libalsa (using apt-get install) and I want to build an application that makes use of it.

The cross compile tarball will not have the libalsa development files (headers/.pc/libs) and so I can't cross compile an application that makes use of it.

Unless I missed something somewhere ?
tnt

Postby ysapir » Thu May 02, 2013 2:15 pm

Oh, I see what you mean - and yes, you are right. 3rd party libraries are (obviously) not a part of this release. Unless there is a method for installing ARM libraries on the PC for build time linkage (which I am not aware of), I don't know how to solve this problem. Maybe you can try copying the libs from the board to a temp directory on the PC and add its path to your host app build scripts?

The flow I am using with one of the programs I maintain, which uses the DevIL image library, has exactly this limitation, and thus I build the host application on the board itself.
ysapir

Postby 9600 » Thu May 02, 2013 4:41 pm

Andrew Back

Postby ysapir » Thu May 02, 2013 9:19 pm

If someone is experienced and can come out with a recommended flow for using this environment, I'll be happy to include that in the future release.
ysapir

Postby undecided » Tue May 14, 2013 1:17 pm

undecided

Postby ed2k » Wed May 15, 2013 3:45 am

ed2k

Postby 9600 » Wed May 15, 2013 9:20 am

Andrew Back

Next

Return to Programming Q & A