[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Improvement suggestions for Epiphany compiler

Improvement suggestions for Epiphany compiler

Discussion about Parallella (and Epiphany) Software Development

Moderators: amylaar, jeremybennett, simoncook

Improvement suggestions for Epiphany compiler

Postby mikebell » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:51 pm

mikebell

Re: Improvement suggestions for Epiphany compiler

Postby aolofsson » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:17 pm

mikebell,

I tend to agree with all three of your suggestions! If you want to go ahead and submit compiler issue request (one each) that would help out a lot!

https://github.com/adapteva/epiphany-sdk/issues

(if you don't have time, then I will grab the text out of this post and submit issues...)

Andreas
aolofsson

Postby mikebell » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:33 pm

I've raised issues for 2 and 3 (and given a proposed patch that works-for-me™ for issue 2).

It turns out raising that number of registers is harder than I expected, and is really a core gcc issue, not an epiphany specific one. So I haven't raised an issue for that right now.

Mike
mikebell

Postby mikebell » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:48 pm

On further investigation I found it didn't seem too hard to get up to 60 registers in use in an asm block (which is really only a bit more than 30 because of the double counting for read/write regs).

I've raised an issue with a link to a commit that appears to work for me. Again, more testing by someone with more experience would be nice!

Mike
mikebell

I have a suggestion to improve the compiler as well.

Postby Gravis » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:57 pm

Reduce the amount of instructions used for stack manipulation!

Upon analysis of disassembled object code I found that between 10% and 20% of instructions are just managing the stack when calling/leaving a function. There are multiple ways to do this, from changing register use rules to having dedicated functions to manage the stack.
Gravis

Postby Gravis » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:31 am

I'm not sure how to command GCC to do this but if you could mark functions or specific variables to use low index registers so that the 16-bit instructions could be used instead of 32-bit ones, that could save a lot of space.

better yet, having a gcc flag to aggressively try and save space by using 16-bit instructions as much as possible would be good.
Gravis

Return to Programming Q & A