[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Applying continuous integration to Epiphany / Parallella sof

Applying continuous integration to Epiphany / Parallella sof

Discussion about Parallella (and Epiphany) Software Development

Moderators: amylaar, jeremybennett, simoncook

Applying continuous integration to Epiphany / Parallella sof

Postby snim2 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:36 pm

Continuous integration is popular and there are several free tools for performing CI on Free software.

I have put together a proof-of-concept for travis-ci, a popular, cloud-hosted CI tool. This uses my Docker image (see the other thread) and builds the "hello world" app from the official Epiphany examples repository.

You can find my Travis config here:

And the current status of that project can be seen on Travis here:

At the moment this is quite basic, it only builds a project it doesn't perform any testing or simulation. If anyone has any clever ideas for enhancements I'd love to hear them!

Cheers,

Sarah
snim2

Re: Applying continuous integration to Epiphany / Parallella

Postby philipz » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:08 am

Hi snim2,

I have make this testing on RPi. Maybe it also works on Parallella.
Run RPi Raspbian by Docker on X86 Linux, not QEMU ~~~

sudo apt-get install qemu-user-static
sudo docker run -it --rm -v /usr/bin/qemu-arm-static:/usr/bin/qemu-arm-static philipz/rpi-raspbian bash
Attachments
2015-02-171.png
2015-02-171.png (95.51 KiB) Viewed 26967 times
philipz

Postby snim2 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:19 pm

Hi Philip,

I've never used qemu before so I'm not sure what your screenshot shows. Are you running a RPi emulator inside a Docker container? That sounds extremely cool for testing RPi code automatically. Do you know if anyone has attempted a qemu for the Parallella?

Cheers,

Sarah
snim2

Postby aolofsson » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:41 pm

Hi Sarah,

This is very cool! Making the cross compilation and installation easier is definitely a priority!

As a heads up, we are working on a fresh start to the Parallella (and Epiphany) SDKs. We really want this to be a broad community effort from day one. I would love to see your docker build flow as part of this new "PAL" SDK under development. Of course you could continue to keep it separate, but I think it will be more efficient for all if it's an integrated part. (also, want it to be known that the door is open and everyone is welcome into this new project:-)

https://github.com/parallella/pal

Cheers,
Andreas
aolofsson

Postby snim2 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:51 pm

This sounds extremely cool. I had seen the pal repository but it wasn't clear to me that it was intended to be a replacement SDK. I'll certainly have a closer look.

At the moment my travis recipe can cross-compile a C program for the Epiphany / Parallella, but it can't unit test or emulate the resulting executables. If you have any thoughts on that I'd be very interested to hear them.

Cheers,

Sarah
snim2

Postby aolofsson » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:13 pm

Sarah,
What about the "e-run" functional simulator? It only runs Epiphany programs, but it might be a start..
Andreas
aolofsson

Postby snim2 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:25 pm

That sounds like a plan, although even with -D -v there isn't a huge amount to see.

Some of the examples in the "examples" repo don't build on my Docker environment and they all have slightly different build recipes. Many have separate build and run shell scripts but some have Makefiles, etc. I think it would be useful to tidy this up and make sure every example is consistent and still works with the current SDK.

I don't have time to do that right now, but maybe in a few weeks time I could have a go. Is there any issue with licensing or is the whole repo under the GPL?

Thanks,

Sarah
snim2

Postby aolofsson » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:07 pm

Agree on the examples part. This definitely needs clean up...

The PAL repo is Apache 2.0...so this might be a reason to keep them apart?

Andreas
aolofsson

Postby snim2 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:14 pm

Oh sure, I wasn't suggesting merging those repos.

I have other deadlines this week but expect to be pretty active after that. I'll see if I can fit in some time to look at the examples repo.

BTW why are the epiphany-examples and parallella-examples repositories separate?

Cheers,

Sarah
snim2

Postby 9600 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:35 am

Andrew Back

Return to Programming Q & A