[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Parallella SDK

Parallella SDK

Discussion about Parallella (and Epiphany) Software Development

Moderators: amylaar, jeremybennett, simoncook

Parallella SDK

Postby zodane » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:43 pm

Hello every one
First of all , i wanna let you know that i'm new with all this stuff :geek:

I'm trying to master the Parallella with all of its options, so i decide to start with programming the ARM and then to program both ARM and epiphany at the same time and after that i will bring some co-design (Hardware, ARM, Epiphany).

Should i use Xilinx SDK to program the ARM cores, if so :
- the program will run under Ubuntu in ARM??
- What should i select in Hardware platform (i'm using parallella 7020)
1.jpg
Xilinx SDK
1.jpg (163.32 KiB) Viewed 20603 times

Regards
zodane

Re: Parallella SDK

Postby sebraa » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:22 pm

To program the ARM cores, you can use the installed compiler (gcc) on the Parallella.
It will generate programs which run inside the Ubuntu on the ARM cores.

To program the Epiphany, you should use the eSDK (e-gcc) installed on the Parallella.
It will generate programs which run inside the Epiphany cores, but you also need a host program running on the ARM cores.

Only if you want to do hardware design for the FPGA, you need to touch Xilinx tools. Until then, ignore them.
sebraa

Postby zodane » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:56 pm

zodane

Postby sebraa » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:20 pm

I do not know anything about the FPGA logic, so I cannot answer your question about that. Sorry.

The "host" program is run on the ARM cores, so you just use the gcc available on the Parallella (or any other ARM cross compiler), and the e-hal library provided by Adapteva. Take a look at the SDK documentation ("SDK Reference Manual") to learn which functions you can use to command the Epiphany.

I don't know what you're trying to achieve, but I would recommend starting on the software side (that is, getting some programs to run on the ARM and then, if you got that to work, start on getting the Epiphany working. First when that is done, I would recommend touching any of Xilinx' tools and looking at the FPGA stuff. But that's only because I use the Epiphany, not the FPGA. ;-)
sebraa

Postby zodane » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:41 am

Thank you Sebraa, this will only postpone the problem because i will need to use Xilinx tools at the end (FPGA design)
Thank you again

Regards
zodane

Postby zodane » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:29 pm

zodane

Postby sebraa » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:23 pm

No, since ARM and Epiphany use different instruction sets. It doesn't matter if the routine is inside the Epiphany or not.

However, you could run a program on the ARM which talks to another program running on the Epiphany, and have the Epiphany program do some work on behalf of the ARM program.
sebraa

Postby zodane » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:18 pm

Thank you sebraa

How can load library (vision processing) to use with gcc (for ARM programming)?

Regards
zodane

Postby sebraa » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:09 pm

The Linux on the Parallella ARM cores behaves precisely like any other Linux on a PC.

So, to use OpenCV on these ARM cores, you do precisely as you would do on a (Debian/Ubuntu) Linux-PC. That means, use apt-get to install the OpenCV development libraries, write your code, compile it, link it against these libraries and have fun. There is nothing Parallella-specific about it. For the details, refer to the many tutorials about OpenCV on Linux.
sebraa

Return to Programming Q & A