SDK Cross compilation?

Discussion about Parallella (and Epiphany) Software Development

Moderators: amylaar, jeremybennett, simoncook

SDK Cross compilation?

Postby burakbardak » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:54 am

Hi,
Can anyone guide me to the right direction for SDK cross compilation? Is there a stable, working version of SDK for cross compilation with simulator?

Regards,
Burak
burakbardak

Re: SDK Cross compilation?

Postby sting » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:29 am

I am working on the same problem, first I need a headless version of the parallella and second I don't have the hours it takes to wait for eclipse to do anything useful on the parallella.

I have a remote deployment of c++ apps using the RSE on eclipse. No real effort there.

I tried to build a program that only linked with stdcl and I can't get past the linker telling me that it doesn't understand the

libstdcl.so: file not recognized: File format not recognized I am of course going to work to figure it out but if someone already can do this any help would be appreciated.

I have installed libelf, libevent, and libconfig on the machine that I am building from so I would have access to the headers and libraried to link against. I also installed coprthr to use the headers in /usr/local/browndeer/include and the libraries in /usr/local/browndeer/lib with stdcl and ocl.
sting

Postby sting » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:34 am

Duh, I compiled the library with the host toolchain instead of the cross toolchain. Now I have to figure out how to do that.
sting

Postby sting » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:27 am

After I got all of the libraries built using the correct toolchain it seems to work. I have it to the point where I still use the JIT compiler for the epiphany code. Next project will be to compile this on the host and remote deploy it.
sting

Postby peteasa » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:05 pm

The yocto environment that I am creating will be capable of producing an SDK to run on the build machine. Yocto includes an associated eclipse based IDE for ease of development. It will also produce a full image and a distribution service so that you can update the target with built packages using a package manager - I use smart - bit like apt-get. At the moment I have most of the toolchain built and have proven the toolchain on a board and it is a relatively small step (if you are familar with yocto) to build the SDK. Look at the posts viewtopic.php?f=9&t=414&hilit=yocto if you are interested.
peteasa

Postby peteasa » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:21 pm

Just a quick update.. the SDK for cross compilation is now built... so if you clone https://github.com/peteasa/parallella-yoctobuild to a linux build machine and follow the instructions you will get a complete distribution for publishing via a web server, sdk to run on a linux machine for cross compilation, eclipse environment, target image for SD card... If you want to debug the kernel (stap, perf etc) then you can easily add what you need to the image and use smart to update the target or flash another SD card. Its amazing what Yocto provides for free once you have passed the initial learning curve :)
peteasa

Postby philipz » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:33 am

Dear #burakbardak,

I have use Docker to build a cross compiler environment for Epiphany development.
Hope to see many to many Epiphany projects.
https://github.com/philipz/Docker_Epiphany_SDK
philipz

Postby burakbardak » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:13 am

Dear all..
Thanks for your replies. I will try the cross compilation and will share my experience.
All the best
Burak
burakbardak

Return to Programming Q & A