[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Eclipse - ARM and x86_32

Eclipse - ARM and x86_32

Discussion about Parallella (and Epiphany) Software Development

Moderators: amylaar, jeremybennett, simoncook

Eclipse - ARM and x86_32

Postby nickoppen » Wed May 21, 2014 10:22 am

I'm having difficulty getting Eclipse.

I've installed the ARM7 SDK from ftp.parallella.org. The INSTALL file implies that eclipse comes with the SDK (point 6. #test eclipse IDE) but $EPIPHANY_HOME/eclipse is not found.

I've tried to install in using apt-get but I get:

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
eclipse : Depends: eclipse-jdt (>= 3.8.1-4) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: eclipse-pde (>= 3.8.1-4) but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I've gotten cross compilation working for the pi and so I thought I'd give that a try but on the in ftp.parallella.org/esdk/old I see:

esdk.4.13.01.04_linux_armv7l.tgz 134 MB 1/8/13 12:00:00 AM
esdk.4.13.03.30_linux_armv7l.tgz 135 MB 4/2/13 12:00:00 AM
esdk.4.13.04.24_linux_x86_64_armv7l.tgz 458 MB 4/24/13 12:00:00 AM
esdk.5.13.07.10_linux_armv7l.tgz 118 MB 7/12/13 12:00:00 AM
esdk.5.13.07.10_linux_x86_64_armv7l.tgz 422 MB 7/12/13 12:00:00 AM

Which seem to be either ARM7 or x86_64 versions. My Linux is running on 32 bit x86.

Am I missing something?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

nick
Sharing is what makes the internet Great!
nickoppen

Re: Eclipse - ARM and x86_32

Postby Claggy » Wed May 21, 2014 10:56 am

Claggy

Postby nickoppen » Sat May 24, 2014 1:08 am

Hmmmm. That makes sense on the x86 side.

Has anyone gotten Eclipse running on the Paralella?
nickoppen

Postby nickoppen » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:28 am

Eclipse 3.8.1 (indigo) installs on the 14.04 Ubuntu build. It comes down with only the basic modules so you have to install everything you want via the Install Software option on the Help menu.

Very basic but it's a start/
nickoppen

Postby baseballguy » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:53 pm

How do you install Eclipse 3.8.1? My Linux is also running 32 bits.
baseballguy

Postby baseballguy » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:22 pm

I have the exact same errors as you.

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
eclipse : Depends: eclipse-jdt (>= 3.8.1-4) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: eclipse-pde (>= 3.8.1-4) but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
baseballguy

Postby nickoppen » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:13 am

G'Day,

All I did was to upgrade to the 14.04 release of Ubuntu. After that is was just the sudo apt-get install eclipse.

I followed that procedure here: . I fumbled around a bit, not being a Linux sort of guy but got it running in the end. (The two kernel files and the fpga file go in the BOOT partition, not the boot directory.) I'm using the hdmi version for the fpga cause I could not get the headless version to work.

The performance is woeful though. It's like programming on the moon. I think that is because the java run time is the generic one. It runs faster on my pi with the pi specific jre even though the pi has a less powerful processor.

Good luck.

nick
nickoppen

Postby nickoppen » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:24 am

I've just written a beginner's guide on what you need to do to get a basic program using the stdcl library running on the Parallella using Eclipse.

If I've left anything out please let me know.

nick
nickoppen

Postby notzed » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:50 am

FWIW you can just run 'sudo bash' to login as root without needing to reset or create the root password. Although tbh the latter is probably more "secure".

The reason 'sudo ./blah' doesn't work is that it strips most of the environment away first, so you could also write a script to run the binary that sets the ones necessary and run that instead.
notzed

Postby nickoppen » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:23 am

Thanks for that. I thought that was what sudo was doing. Now that I look at sudo env there is really not a lot left.

The problem I have with Linux is that there is always many ways of doing everything. It makes it powerful and flexible but I find it a distraction given that I just want to write programs. For these guides I'm writing, I just want to describe the shortest, simplest path to getting the thing working.
nickoppen

Return to Programming Q & A