more work on the 'easy' elf-loader

Discussion about Parallella (and Epiphany) Software Development

Moderators: amylaar, jeremybennett, simoncook

more work on the 'easy' elf-loader

Postby notzed » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:27 am

Hi all,

I prettied up some of the stuff I did a few months ago and uploaded a '1.0' to:

http://www.users.on.net/~notzed/softwar ... oader.html

I did (and do) want to work on it a bit more ... but you know, distractions and summer and beer, so i'm not sure how much i'll get done next or when that will be. I recently had an epiphany (ho ho) and thought I might work toward putting it behind a Java api but nothing is set in stone.

It is still very much work in progress (just a bunch of experiments) but it is currently able to take several distinct epiphany-core programs and relocate and cross-link them to any on-core topology - at runtime. Remote addresses in other cores can be partially resolved automatically (to the local core address offset - suitable for e_get_global_address()) by using weak symbols and the host can resolve symbols by name. By default sections go on-core but .section directives can redirect individual records to specific banks or to global memory. bss/text/data are all supported for any such section using standard names (no 'code' sections).

Linker scripts are not needed for any of this and the only 'special sauce' is that the epiphany binaries be linked with -r. (I mention this because this was the primary driving factor for me to write any of this). I would probably like to replace crt0 as well but that is something for the future.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for it since it's not really sdk related but with so many fora to choose from there didn't seem anything better.
notzed

Re: more work on the 'easy' elf-loader

Postby shodruk » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:12 pm

Thanks, notzed!
Shodruky
shodruk

Return to Programming Q & A