[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Barrier performance

Barrier performance

Discussion about Parallella (and Epiphany) Software Development

Moderators: amylaar, jeremybennett, simoncook

Barrier performance

Postby sagathos » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:13 am

Hi there,

I am trying to build a custom barrier for the Epiphany PEs. In order to test the performance of my barrier I run some tests and compared it with the default e_barrier. I visited the site with the implementation for the e_barrier:

and copied the code of 'e_barrier' so I would have a starting point for my implementation. I named this implementation 'my_barrier'.
I noticed that the e_barrier function which exists in libe-lib.a (e_mutex_barrier.o) has 5 times better performance (number of cycles) compared to my implementation taken from the link above. Notice that I use the same barrier vars and the default e_barrier_init function.
Where does this difference in performance come from? Are special flags used when compiling the e_mutex_barrier.c file in order to create libe-lib.a?
In my Makefile I use the follwing flags: -O3 -funroll-loops -ffast-math.
Last edited by sagathos on Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sagathos

Re: Barrier performance

Postby notzed » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:15 am

Try looking at the assembly language output. Or better yet, just post your whole example. I've written my own working barrier implementation but i didn't do any timing as i was focusing on code-size (it's in ezesdk).

Make sure all the code is on-core. And verify your timing code has compiled as you expect.

FWIW I would highly recommend against using either -O3 or -funroll-loops except in very specific and verified circumstances (i.e. you have to check the generated assembly is sane every time). There just isn't enough on-core space for what horrible things it often does to the code generator, and quite likely it will produce poorly performing code anyway. The compiler usually only unrolls loops when it has a constant loop bound anyway.
notzed

Re: Barrier performance

Postby sagathos » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:21 pm

Thank you for answer,

I think I found the answer I was looking for. :) I changed the flags of e-gcc from "-O3 -funroll-loops -ffast-math" to "-O3 -mfp-mode=round-nearest". This change seems to speedup the barrier execution. See

for more informations about this particular flag.
sagathos

Return to Programming Q & A